Like Tree9Likes

Landlord trouble

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Landlord trouble

Hi everyone,

I've rented this place for 2 years and I've never made a single late payment until this month. My father is in the hospital (outside HK) and so it slipped my mind this month, I am late for a few days. I promised to pay her Sunday (tomorrow) and she agreed via text.....but she has totally gone berserk!! She has been calling me nonstop and sending me text messages to threaten to evict me starting from the day that I forgot to pay her. She threatened to come up to the apartment to cause a fuss and to post notices to tell everyone that I'm a bad tenant. She threatened to call the police, the media etc.....

There's 2 months left for my lease agreement and the landlord has her 2 months deposit. I really don't know why she is so crazy about this!! I already promised to pay her. Now, I am afraid she won't return my 2 months deposit after the lease because she's obviously insane.

Has anyone experienced something like this??

Seems there is nothing like 'normal' when it comes to HK landlords. Given your landlord's reaction, I would seriously think about not paying the last 2 months rent. Otherwise signs are looking likely that you can kiss your deposit goodbye. There have been multiple threads from people in similar situations - I would advise you have a look. Here is one to get you started:

https://geoexpat.com/forum/61/thread331221.html

Don't pay the last 2 months of your rent, just tell her to keep the deposit as payment for these 2 months. Most likely she will threaten you to take a legal action against you, but even if she does, it takes more than 2 months for her to sue you and you'll be out by that time anyway.

If you don't like to risk, at the end of your lease contract, don't leave the flat or give her the keys (assuming you've already changed the lock) unless you get the deposit back

If you opt to pay your 2 last months and it ends up not getting your deposit, file a complaint through the small claims tribunal which will take forever and getting back your money won't be guaranteed.

jmbf likes this.

Do not pay her tomorrow. Simple. Tell her you had honest intentions to do so, but being a few days late one week does not justify her reaction so you have decided not to pay and instead you will only pay up to the end of your lease minus two months deposit. You have all the power and nothing she can do. Tell her its her own fault for being such a bitch.

jmbf, jrkob, Ern and 1 others like this.

Wahh. So the landlord wants to keep your deposit and thinks you are moving.

Are you planning to move? I would make sure you don't pay the last two months rent, sounds like she will try to scam you. And given the rents are dropping that's why she's probably freaking out. Good luck!

Let her call the police and media. What a nutjob. Nothing they can do unless you go violent on her and hit her....

Eviction order from land's tribunal takes 5 months (from personal experience)

I am convinced that she never intended to give me my deposit back and is freaking out because I (unwittingly) outsmarted her! Even my real estate agent advised me not to pay her...Apparently she went to the real estate agency and caused a scene, blaming them for renting the unit to me at the price I've been paying. Absolute nutcase!!

So I definitely won't be paying her tomorrow but I'm kind of freaked out by her reaction. I wouldn't put it past her to come to my building and cause a scene.

Let us know how it goes with her tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ermchan:
    So I definitely won't be paying her tomorrow but I'm kind of freaked out by her reaction. I wouldn't put it past her to come to my building and cause a scene.
    Just stick to your guns, be calm but firm. Remember at this point you have all the leverage. She can scream and shout all she wants but at the end of the day there's nothing really that she can do to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast