Like Tree2Likes

Service apartment / regular apartment not too far from Kowloon MRT station

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Service apartment / regular apartment not too far from Kowloon MRT station

Hi everyone,

Will be moving to HK end of October. Is it possible to find a good service apartment not too far from Kowloon MRT? Specifically:

* Small in size is OK (studio / 1 bedroom), but preferably not a shoe box. Roughly at least 300-350 sqft.
    * Reasonable quality - doesn't have to be new build, but not dilapidated / really run down
    * Reasonable neighbourhood
    * No more than 2-3 miles from the station
    * Up to 20K HKD per month?
    * Not too noisy
    * Good access to all the usual stuff: restaurants, shopping, transport

Also, for longer term, where should I look for a similar flat for 15K or less with the same parameters? Is it feasible for the price?

15K long term is doable. We see all sorts of decent apartments in that range in our classifieds.

(Not in your specific area, but an example of what you can find in the 15K range. Have seen several in TST / Kowloon side that are similar...)

https://geoexpat.com/classifieds/apa...wner/ad/390772

I also saw this in our classifieds - not too sure how this particular place works. Well within your budget and seems a little bit more interesting than your usual apartments.

Tiny rooms, but might be worth considering while you get settled in.

https://geoexpat.com/classifieds/apa...able/ad/394842

The minimum size range you are looking at is usually 2 bedrooms over here, but (at least with a private landlord) you can sometimes luck out and find a place where one bedroom wall has been knocked out to give a larger living room. It has certainly happened with me. And don't be afraid to check out an apartment in a building which looks distinctly grotty on the otuside - often people will have done up the interiors beautifully, specially in older buildings in well-established areas.

As far as distance from Kowloon MTR station is concerned, 2 - 3 miles gets you out as far as Nam Cheong, Hung Hom, Kowloon Tong MTRs, or across to the western end of HK island. It's very much accepted here that high class private developments will sit cheek by jowl with public housing; you don't get the separation of "rich" and "poor" districts you do in a lot of places. Also, despite the high population density, there really isn't any district where threats to personal safety are a concern.

Still, each little corner of town has its own distinct vibe, so do get your walking shoes on and just use whatever time you can get to mosey around different areas at street level in order to find a place that feels "right" for you (my own personal preference in the radius you specified would be Sheung Wan/ Sai Ying Pun on HK island).

For the initial house-hunting time, prepare yourself to put up with a small shoebox of a serviced apartment for 15K.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    I also saw this in our classifieds - not too sure how this particular place works. Well within your budget and seems a little bit more interesting than your usual apartments.

Tiny rooms, but might be worth considering while you get settled in.

https://geoexpat.com/classifieds/apa...able/ad/394842
    It is on the small side and shared facilities... well maybe for a few days while waiting for another option to materialise...

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch
    The minimum size range you are looking at is usually 2 bedrooms over here, but (at least with a private landlord) you can sometimes luck out and find a place where one bedroom wall has been knocked out to give a larger living room. It has certainly happened with me. And don't be afraid to check out an apartment in a building which looks distinctly grotty on the otuside - often people will have done up the interiors beautifully, specially in older buildings in well-established areas.

As far as distance from Kowloon MTR station is concerned, 2 - 3 miles gets you out as far as Nam Cheong, Hung Hom, Kowloon Tong MTRs, or across to the western end of HK island. It's very much accepted here that high class private developments will sit cheek by jowl with public housing; you don't get the separation of "rich" and "poor" districts you do in a lot of places. Also, despite the high population density, there really isn't any district where threats to personal safety are a concern.

Still, each little corner of town has its own distinct vibe, so do get your walking shoes on and just use whatever time you can get to mosey around different areas at street level in order to find a place that feels "right" for you (my own personal preference in the radius you specified would be Sheung Wan/ Sai Ying Pun on HK island).

For the initial house-hunting time, prepare yourself to put up with a small shoebox of a serviced apartment for 15K.
    Ok, thanks for the info.

Any specific recommendations for service apartments sub 20K in Kowloon MRT area? Or where to look for those? I tried the link at the top of this web site, however there are only a few options in Kowloon and they seem rather expensive, where I could figure out the price at all.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Which MTR station in Kowloon? It's quite a large area.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    Which MTR station in Kowloon? It's quite a large area.
    The station that is called Kowloon:

https://goo.gl/maps/cj2McXJFZK22

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x
    The station that is called Kowloon:

https://goo.gl/maps/cj2McXJFZK22
    MTR station is called Kowloon. MRT is in Singapore.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

This place began as a hostel but now has a few serviced places near Olympic MTR. Not fancy but that means not too expensive.

YESINSPACE - SERVICED APARTMENT/STUDIO IN KOWLOON

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast