Like Tree8Likes

Work in Central IFC, where to live? recent expat from Philly USA. Budget 15K-35K

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Living

Central of course is not cheap. Because of the location. It's great. So if you have that price range try Sheung Wan area. It's close to Central. Walking distance. Cheaper too. Also try mid levels. Some parts of Soho even. Directly in Central will be expensive. More than you have.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    The increment decreases from $1.6 to $1 per 200m after $78 on the meter (excluding tunnel fees).
    The NT cabs change at 59 I think (I know its not relevant here, but just for completeness).

Sometimes I think the prices are exaggerated in Mid-Levels. If you go for older buildings but nicely refurbished indoors you have to pay perhaps 25-30k per month for something which cost 16-18k out in Tsing Yi, well worth the extra dollars living in Mid-Levels imho if that is still within your budget. Which for me means that your salary is at least 3x what you spend on housing.

I've been staying with a friend in mid-levels for the past couple weeks while I get the deposit together for my own place. Its an absolute pain struggling up those hills if you're used to being able to walk everywhere.

Maybe not important for many people, but could be a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorer
    I've been staying with a friend in mid-levels for the past couple weeks while I get the deposit together for my own place. Its an absolute pain struggling up those hills if you're used to being able to walk everywhere.

It's my idea of hell but some people like it.
    nivantj likes this.

Mat

Taxi.

In the summertime you ofcourse take the bus or taxi upwards, or if you live close to the escalator and can stand still without becoming to sweaty. Me personally I went to the gym 3 days a week after work and then walked home in my training clothes and showered at home. I got in very good shape from this.

Wow, this is so helpful thanks everyone.
    I just arrived haven't got a chance to explore yet.

per everyone's input, I think this is what I can get, 20-25K , 15-20 mins commute, 600-700 sqft.
    I would like a neighborhood aiming for single people instead of families. any location/apt recommendation? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phillyexpat
    Wow, this is so helpful thanks everyone.
    I just arrived haven't got a chance to explore yet.

per everyone's input, I think this is what I can get, 20-25K , 15-20 mins commute, 600-700 sqft.
    I would like a neighborhood aiming for single people instead of families. any location/apt recommendation? Thanks
    If you expect that in Hong Kong island, no chance, expect half that size for that budget, but in Kowloon for that budget, you may get 600sq ft

You will get something closer to 450'. On HK side closer to 300'.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast