Like Tree8Likes

Work in Central IFC, where to live? recent expat from Philly USA. Budget 15K-35K

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Post Work in Central IFC, where to live? recent expat from Philly USA. Budget 15K-35K

I know it is a big range of budget. I am thinking to stay closer to central.
    For one person, I could use a small place but need to be convenient to work and I still like to cook sometime.

If I cant stay in central, then 15-20 mins commute is fine

Your advice is appreciated.

This should help. All the listings from 15 to 35K in Central.

https://www.spacious.hk/en/hong-kong...ch_notice=true

15-35k..... Why such a huge range?

If you can spend less than 20% of your income on rent. Great.

For IFC, look at Sai Ying Pun, or Sheung Wan. You can find new building apartments for less than 30k with facilities. On a budget about 15-20k gets you a studio in an older building. Keep in mind the walking distance to work as summers (6 months of the year) are 33 degrees C, hot and humid, all day every day. (Feels like Florida in a suit).

Consider living on the "dark side". Kowloon station is easy to get to IFC, one station, all air conditioning along the way. About 25-30k for one bed at The Arch with good facilities but a little dated. Olympic station is a bit cheaper, at Harbour Green you can find 2 bed 450' for about 20k. But you have to walk in the heat a bit to the MTR, 2 stops away from IFC.

Consider if you want to go out and party a lot. Kowloon is a $100+ taxi away whereas Sheung wan you can walk home at any hour. Trains close at 12 something. Each line has a different last train time.

Welcome to Hong Kong.

I'm also a bit confused as to how your budget could possibly range from $15k - $35k....

I recommend Mid-Levels close to escalator and expect paying 30-35 for something nice. Consider older building for more value for money.

As others have noted, being in IFC gives you excellent access to the Tung Chung line trains. A short commute would be anything from Tsing Yi onwards (Tsing Yi about 20 mins on the train plus walking; Kowloon about 2 mins on train plus walking). All of those places have good accommodation - the further out you go; the less money you pay. So - chose your balance of price/space/commute. And if you party, actually catching a cab wouldn't be a huge amount different between places as the big hit on the taxi side is the harbour toll and the first 50 dollars of fare, after that it gets cheaper.

What's your ideal requirements in spacewise? Is partying and night life a main requirement in your lifestyle, if yes, pick somewhere in Hk island

Does it get cheaper after $50 or $75?

@ HK_Katherine

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    Consider living on the "dark side". Kowloon station is easy to get to IFC, one station, all air conditioning along the way. About 25-30k for one bed at The Arch with good facilities but a little dated. Olympic station is a bit cheaper, at Harbour Green you can find 2 bed 450' for about 20k. But you have to walk in the heat a bit to the MTR, 2 stops away from IFC.
    From my limited experience, Kowloon station leans more towards families while Olympic has a mix of working singles as well. Also Kowloon station buildings are really expensive due to lots of facilities, great for stay at home parents/kids/helpers but if you're single and working finance hours, you won't get as much use out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorer
    Does it get cheaper after $50 or $75?

@ HK_Katherine
    The increment decreases from $1.6 to $1 per 200m after $78 on the meter (excluding tunnel fees).
    shri likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast