Renting a serviced apartment as tourist

sme

Renting a serviced apartment as tourist

I've been in HK for a month but have used AirBnb to rent so far. However for the next two months I am wanting to rent a serviced apartment here. I already found a place and am going to check it out tomorrow. My only question is, what should I look out for in terms of a contract or whatnot? On AirBNB, your payment/agreement is done through their site, so you are 'protected' in that regard. So will a serviced apartment landlord usually have a contract? I am not too keen on handing over a bunch of cash with simply a hand shake I guess.

That's how it works here. Typically a small serviced studio will require a small 5-10k deposit, so you can find just about anything to fit your budget. When you leave, get your deposit refund on the same day you move out/return the key. Make sure you notify them in advance and ask them to prepare the deposit on your move-out day. Usually no problems with larger companies, they don't want the trouble.

Some of the corporate landlords are more formal. When we first moved out here, we rented a serviced apartment from Swire Properties for two months and the requirements were almost as onerous as a long term rental. We had to pay a month's deposit and a month's rent in advance and we had a formal signed and stamped lease agreement (mind you, it took forever to get the rent receipts and countersigned lease agreement off them, which I needed to get rental reimbursement from my employer). I suppose that did give us more protection, but it wasn't so good for our cashflow.