Like Tree5Likes

Tseung Kwan O

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tseung Kwan O

Does anyone know what is the reason for Tseung Kwan O apartment rentals being comparatively cheap? The commute to HK Island looks decent on the MTR, going via North Point and the amenities in the area (shopping, recreation) look good. However the rent seems cheaper than even Tung Chung and far off areas like Tuen Mun. Is the nearby landfill a problem and are there other problems people have encountered?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by dddc:
    Is the nearby landfill a problem
    It depends which way the wind is blowing.
    misshappy26 likes this.

There are a lot of new properties in the area and they are still building more so it is just a question of demand and supply.

More supply than demand = cheaper rent.

Hi, new joiner here. I am on my third stint living in HK, having previously lived in Kennedy Town and Causeway Bay.

When I moved back here, I wanted to try somewhere different, preferably not too busy and crowded. I looked at a lot of places, Island Resort, Cheung Sha Wan, Mei Foo amongst others. When I asked about TKO, my local friends said it was smelly, far away and crowded.

When I visited the area I know straight away I wanted to live there. Its quieter, nice wind, not too crowded and have good shopping. In the 6 months I have been here I have never smelt any garbage smell and I believe the landfill is now covered.

I work in Central and it only takes me 35 mins on MTR to work. There is a great boardwalk, running and cycling tracks. Its a great place and very good value for money! I understand prices are starting to rise.

Unforunately I have to leave HK in December, I stay at The Wings 2 which is a fantastic development and only pay 27,500HKD for a 1055 (gross) sq ft apartment! Where else can you get that, connectivity and quality of life in HK!

chuckster007 and kimwy66 like this.

TKO is an excellent place.

Agreed Chuck. Also, although there is more Condo's going up, I like what they will do with "Popwalk". I understand soon there will be a tree lined walkway with restaurants and shops each side going down to the seafront. Anyone tried the bar on top of Crowne Plaza in TKO, its great!

TKO has its moments. The public sports facilities are amazing, and the cycle path to anywhere is also a plus. Don't know of many other places in Hong Kong I could send the kid to their music lesson on their bike, with a stop at the skateboard park on the way back, all without going near a road.

The Roundabout of Doom in Hang Hau is a downside, although the new road markings are understood by 50% of the locals now so things are improving.

A new down is the closure of Taste supermarket at Hang Hau. It is being replaced by the Japanese Yata Supermarket. I'm doubtful of getting Waitrose Essential Gingernuts there.

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    A new down is the closure of Taste supermarket at Hang Hau. It is being replaced by the Japanese Yata Supermarket. I'm doubtful of getting Waitrose Essential Gingernuts there.
    Yah Taste was great and massive but they have a new Superstore just across in Hau Tak Centre, see if they have what you need there

Store Locator | PARKnSHOP.com

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Yah Taste was great and massive but they have a new Superstore just across in Hau Tak Centre, see if they have what you need there

Store Locator | PARKnSHOP.com
    Superstore my arse, the place is hideous, went once, never again. Park n Shop is the pits.

What about TKO itself? You have Jasons Marketplace, fantastic Aeon Supermarket, Wellcome and even a little Fusion now in Popwalk? Am pretty sure I have seen Waitrose stuff in one of those.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast