Like Tree22Likes

Apartment suggestions near Sheung Wan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Apartment suggestions near Sheung Wan

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to Hong Kong in early November for work, and will stay for about 2 years. My office is at Grand Millennium plaza in Sheung Wan. I'd like to live somewhere close or within a short commute. I'm in my mid 20s, will be living by myself. I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment with a budget around 18K. Some of the key features for me are: Clean (no ants, roaches etc.), close to public transportations, not too noisy, convenient to buy groceries, doesn't look too old, and of course more space is always better.

What neighborhood/buildings would you recommend to look into?

Thanks!
    Dana

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You could look around Kennedy Town or Sai Ying Pun. Both now have the MTR, which for some is a must, and parts are undergoing gentrification.

Some newer apartments have gyms and pools. Older ones won't. As for space, the "efficiency ratio" (the percent of the gross area actually inside the apartment for you to live in) will be higher in older buildings. One that is 30-40 years old may have a ratio in the 80-90% range, e.g. 1,000 sq ft gross, usable or net 850 sq ft, while a newer building built this century you'd be looking at a ratio more like 65-70%, e.g. 1,000 sq ft gross, usable or net 670 sq ft.

As for clean. Dirty neighbours may cause a bit of an insect infestation, but you're not allow to inspect their home for bugs. However, whatever crosses your apartment's threshold is up to you.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 19-10-2016 at 10:14 AM.
    danatuotuo likes this.

Likely you will eat outside most of the time. Most single people do not cook. Everywhere is convenient to buy groceries pretty much. Noise is a problem on HK side. New building you need to spend much more. 18k will be an older building.

danatuotuo likes this.

Should I also consider Kowloon side, for example, somewhere around Olympic MTR? Or is that similar to what I can get in Kennedy Town and Sai Ying Pan, except for a little further away?

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by danatuotuo:
    Should I also consider Kowloon side, for example, somewhere around Olympic MTR? Or is that similar to what I can get in Kennedy Town and Sai Ying Pan, except for a little further away?
    Olympic is a good bet, you can look at Harbour Green, a newer estate with 2 bedrooms for around 20k. (Think the smallest is 2 bed, anyway you need the second room for your closet anyway).

Kennedy town you will likely be in an older building at under 20k.

I suggest looking at Queens Terrace in Sheung Wan. That'll have something in your price range. Also look at the classified ads here and the other expat site. If you can go directly with a LL, you'll save a good amount, and I find the prices tend to be fairer. From Queens Rd uphill it's residential and really nice neighborhoods with pedestrian paths. Queens Rd to the sea is more a "business" area, but you'll still see lots of places for rent, too (it's just a very different vibe). I'd also consider along Bonham Rd., perhaps near SYP station. Kennedy Town and SYP are undergoing major gentrification, so I think the prices there tend to be quite inflated right now. :/

$18k sounds like you'd be in a pretty small walk-up older flat, but I think there's plenty of slightly older highrises that will have things in this price range.

If worried about insects, get a high floor apartment above 15/F.

Shops are everywhere for groceries. Little vegetable stands or the wet market will have better selection of produce at a cheaper price. They're everywhere around Sheung Wan.

chingleutsch and danatuotuo like this.

I think Olympic is such an awful suggestion for someone in their 20s, single. It's such a sterile, poorly designed place, mostly with families. And correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't prices gone up there?

Rob2020 likes this.

Queen's Terrace is a good bet too! Albeit has the lack of facilities.

OP, do you intend to frequent restaurants and bars whilst in HK? If so then HK side would be a better choice. Olympic is more high rise living with a small shopping mall and hence attracts family. I like Olympic for it's convenience to HK station and walkable to well-priced restaurants in Tai Kok Tsui. Not to mention you get buildings in good shape with facilities that are affordable.

As I apparently regularly have to mention, I'm in a 2-bedroom place no more than 10 minutes walk from Grand Millennium Plaza - in a building with no facilities other than a frequently-asleep doorman, but with a supermarket directly outside, LKF and Soho also only a few minutes walk (home), and for under $18k...

In before someone suggests renting an entire village house for $5k or something.

Thanks for the suggestions, they are really helpful! Having good restaurants around always helps, but I'm not too much into the party scene, so proximity to bars us not that important to me. Having facilities in the building is optional for me as well. I thought Olympic station is only a short train ride away from Sheung Wan and other "going out places", is that not the case? How often do the trains run? And do they run 24 hours a day?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast