Like Tree26Likes

Yet another panicky inbound expat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Yeah, "aim higher" for a gold digger who wants an expat package, white kids and a foreign passport.
    Judgemental much?

Yeah, "aim higher" for a gold digger who wants an expat package, white kids and a foreign passport.
    to be honest, with the way Hong Kong is turning getting a foreign passport is more of a survival skill.
    Mrs. Jones, merchantms and huja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Judgemental much?
    I found the case being made totally gross, apologies for the strong reaction. White men coming to Asia for local totty is a sad trope.

Google 'Charisma man' comic's.. It's about Japan but I think you'll enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark
    to be honest, with the way Hong Kong is turning getting a foreign passport is more of a survival skill.
    same w/the USA, sad to say.
    huja and Mrs. Jones like this.

Despite working in a senior role as an expat with a good salary and benefits, with a husband on a dependent visa. I meet all too many people in HK who assume that I am the Chinese girl who has 'won' a rich gweilo, just because of our respective ethnic origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Scousebanana
    Despite working in a senior role as an expat with a good salary and benefits, with a husband on a dependent visa. I meet all too many people in HK who assume that I am the Chinese girl who has 'won' a rich gweilo, just because of our respective ethnic origins.
    I don't mean to come across that I think any white guy/Chinese girl relationship is dodgy. Absolutely I do NOT think that.

What rubbed me the wrong way about that comment was, a 42 year old guy saying he wants to live a quiet life in HK, and someone replying "No way man you can pull some much hotter women here than back home as a white guy, aim higher." That is gross to me, I'm sorry. Many white men come here and think they are God's gift to Asian women and have in my opinion borderline racist attitudes and expectations of what a relationship with a local woman should be like.

I don't mean to come across that I think any white guy/Chinese girl relationship is dodgy. Absolutely I do NOT think that.

What rubbed me the wrong way about that comment was, a 42 year old guy saying he wants to live a quiet life in HK, and someone replying "No way man you can pull some much hotter women here than back home as a white guy, aim higher." That is gross to me, I'm sorry. Many white men come here and think they are God's gift to Asian women and have in my opinion borderline racist attitudes and expectations of what a relationship with a local woman should be like.
    I didn't think you came across that way merchantms at all and I do agree that there are some Westerners who have certain preconceptions about Asian women, but equally there are some local women who are attracted to white guys as they assume they are rich. Even as a single girl when I was in the UK, I was frequently getting approached by a certain type of white guy wanting to date me as 'they had a thing for oriental girls', which put me off straight away, as their preconceptions about the sort of person I was, weren't likely to be correct.

I think this type of person is in the minority though, virtually all white guys I meet here seem to treat women of all ethnicities, with great respect.
    merchantms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scousebanana
    They are just as gobsmacked if you are a white female breadwinner. Some things in this place are very backward socially.
    Fiona in HKG and Scousebanana like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3