mainland friend moving to HK: budget locales near HK island?

Closed Thread

mainland friend moving to HK: budget locales near HK island?

I have a friend moving to HK to take up a research post but that only pays about 30k a month.

He needs a place to stay of course and I'm wondering about good neighborhoods to look in say the 6-8k range for a flat.

Not on the island I assume then? And disco bay is pricey now, no??

So what do you all reccomend. Tung Chung? He's (mainland) Chinese and would actually like something a bit more local I think. Kennedy town would be good lcoale but thats not in this 8k buidget I dont think.

thanks, D

You can get a decent flat for 1-2 people in Kennedy Town-Sai Yin Pun for 8K. Pok Fu Lam, Aberdeen, Tin Hau and East... Lots of options

Last edited by gilleshk; 06-11-2008 at 08:51 AM.

tSEUNG kWAN O

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks:
    I have a friend moving to HK to take up a research post but that only pays about 30k a month.

He needs a place to stay of course and I'm wondering about good neighborhoods to look in say the 6-8k range for a flat.

Not on the island I assume then? And disco bay is pricey now, no??

So what do you all reccomend. Tung Chung? He's (mainland) Chinese and would actually like something a bit more local I think. Kennedy town would be good lcoale but thats not in this 8k buidget I dont think.

thanks, D
    Depends on what he requires from the flat, if he not picky and wants a regular flat without all the extra stuff like gym etc. Plenty of places you can get 2 bedroom 500sq/ft old building flats. Sai ying Pun you can find loads, you might have to walk up a few floors but it can be done.

If you want flashy apartments in new complex then the budget is too low.

Thanks much to all of you. I had no idea you could possibly get 500 sq ft on the sialnd and in that range. I think I am over-paying here in CB myself, ugh. 17k for 650 sq ft net.

I'll send him this info and thanks again, D