Like Tree32Likes

Property in Hong Kong

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bargfeldstegen
    a) It seems like a very wide budget range to buy
    b) OP used at least 1 x wrong term "communicate" vs "commute', so maybe he also uses a wrong term here
    c) OP seems not knowledgeable about HK. Someone considering to buy "should" be better informed.
    d) Maybe I am wrong, anyway, let's see how this thread turns out ;-)
    Good analysis but I meant 20m-30m.
    I have one apartment in TST (where I am staying now), I want to sell it and buy a bigger one as my family is getting bigger. I used to live in Shenzhen more and lived only in TST area while in HK, That's why thought of taking some help from this wonderful forum, that's it. Hope it explains. Thanks!
    Last edited by Arif Chowdhury; 09-12-2016 at 03:56 AM.

@nivantj
    Good idea!

Last edited by Arif Chowdhury; 09-12-2016 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones
    Or try Victoria Towers which is just one stop by minibus from Elements but has the minibus to Shenzen border stop in front of their door. Elements/Kowloon Station is also very kid friendly and has a good playgroup/nursery/kindergarten within it's premises,(PIPS).
    Been to Victoria Tower, great location for me but their biggest size is 900+, and a bit overpriced(for the view). I am looking for 1000-1200 sqf..

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Kowloon Tong.

"Right between" Shenzhen and Kowloon and plenty of park for your wife and little one (and lots of activities nearby as it's high in terms of education around there).

Plenty of good size flat for 20-30 million (or 20-30.000HKD/m if you rent).
    Thanks Mat, yes I am also thinking KT can be a good option. Hope to check One Beacon Hill in Kowloon Tong.

Quote Originally Posted by rakedavids
    there are many buildings above Elements mall. Visit all of them and check out club houses of all of them.
    At your budget range you should be able to get a good sized apartment....

with a young baby and a mom who will probably want to get out for a walk, shop for groceries and generally get out of the house while you are away and not have to take transportation around, this is the best place imo
    That's a good consideration, I already brought the brochures of Sorrento, Cullinan, Harbourside and Arch. Unfortunately my wife thinks that area is bit crowded...

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross
    OP if I were in your position where I had to commute cross border, there's almost no question about moving to NT - vastly bigger properties, reasonable prices and proximity to Shenzhen. 20-30m should net you an fenced 3-floor detached house no problem, especially if you find a village that's located farther away from the urban areas. Yes you'll need a car but a small sacrifice for a large improvement in quality of life.

On the other hand, if you're unsure about staying in HK for the long term, you might want to check out Sorrento and the places above Elements/Kowloon station. You won't have to worry about selling your apartment when you leave, because that place is always in demand and once the new high speed rail to China finishes, the price is going to through the roof. I'm talking about obscene amounts of money from Mainlanders who want an upscale and convenient apartment near the station. You won't live as nice as you would in NT but it'll be convenient and upscale for you as well.
    A good piece of advice, really appreciate it. Thanks a lot
    Living in NT will be convenient for me but I am afraid my wife will feel bit bored, she got more friends living in Yau Tsim zone. Maybe I should convince her for kowloon station area (Though She thinks its already crowded and will be crazy when the high speed rail station opnes up)..

Quote Originally Posted by Arif Chowdhury
    A good piece of advice, really appreciate it. Thanks a lot
    Living in NT will be convenient for me but I am afraid my wife will feel bit bored, she got more friends living in Yau Tsim zone. Maybe I should convince her for kowloon station area (Though She thinks its already crowded and will be crazy when the high speed rail station opnes up)..
    Kowloon station area isn't crowded at all.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

For Shenzhen Bay Port - Gold Coast would work. Close to Tuen Mun (by bus I would estimate 15 mins to central Tuen Mun, 10 mins on the B3, then crossing + getting to your work). Alternatively, by taxi about 15 mins to Shenzhen Bay Port crossing (cost circa 40 or 50 I would guess, cannot remember exact distance). There are kindergartens here, lots of expats, beach, mountains, its a nice environment for mother and child and not bad for you. Direct buses to central for when you want to go in the other direction.

Ignore this if you're renting and not buying.

The new developments are overpriced and the efficiency is not that high - you end up paying through the nose for common areas / facilities.

I am personally of the opinion that you should look for 20-30 year old high-efficiency buildings from reliable developers (yes, it is all relative - but do your research and there are certainly a number of developers you need to avoid). Older buildings also have a little bit better car park ratio - trust me this is a huge plus!

When we were looking it took us about 6 months to find something suitable and must have viewed about 30-40 buildings before we settled on something which has 95% efficiency.

Start your research on Centadata - look at floor layouts, efficiency ratios, transaction volumes etc. Not just brochures / casual visits.

May be I am a bit too analytical about this - but neighbours / commute time to the final destination is irrelevant to me - more important how quickly I can catch a bus / taxi and get to the nearest MTR. (Obviously you don't want to be on the Island - would be far too long a commute!)

Another suggestion would be to look at Hong Lok Yuen. Nice expat family neighbourhood, houses ( not apartments) that are western oriented ie, large master bedrooms, fully featured kitchens with dishwasher an oven and room for a double door fridge. Most have a private under cover, attached car port too. Nice little club with tennis courts etc and commuting to Shenzhen shouldn't be too much of a task.

Pretty suburban, which is great for kids/families etc

emx and chingleutsch like this.

@shri,

New developments not built yet may have a discount over the price they would fetch if they were ready. Provided it's a good developer near the MTR.

Many new developments bought pre-construction were sold 2-3 years later at 20+% profits. Example The Wings in TKO.

I think you are looking at efficiency the wrong way. Before developers and agents only advertised the gross Sq Ft including common areas and clubhouse. The only way to know the size of your flat was via the efficiency ratio. I think some people mistakenly believe they need a higher efficiency ratio in order to get a larger flat. However you can merely just look for more sq ft.

Now with the net sq ft advertised that makes it easier and you can set your target price per net sq ft. I think having common space is good and the lower your efficiency ratio the more space you have to walk around without bumping people.

The most important things to consider with property is of course the location, then who is the developer and then the management fee (but these are revised up anyway). The new development management fees are quite expensive. Old buildings might have renovation projects to be aware of as owners need to pay for these.

I think some people mistakenly believe they need a higher efficiency ratio in order to get a larger flat.
    Lower efficiency - you're paying for shit you don't use.

Who wants fancy lobbies / elaborate club houses? I sure dont and for a second don't think you're not paying for all the elaborate stuff - a premium + a higher management fee for those facilities.

Low efficiency indicates that even though you think you're paying for a 1000 sq flat, you're also subsidising 3-400 sq ft for a developer who has locked in the management contract for a LONG time.

Cheaper to sign up at a private club (assuming they don't have multi year waiting lists..) or join a gym.

But like I said, thats my measure of what I get for my money, yours is different.
    Last edited by shri; 09-12-2016 at 11:20 AM.
    Skyhook and gorillaMS13 like this.

Higher efficiency ratio is very important factor for older buildings no matter what way we look at it.. Two buildings with different efficiency ratios in same location (i.e. with all other factors age, developer etc similar) will probably have similar price per sqft but you will get more bang for your buck choosing higher efficiency ratio.. Merely looking for more sqft will end up in paying more..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast