Like Tree27Likes

Inbound to work NW New territories - where to live with a young international family??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

DO NOT go to Pok Fu lam...this is a nut commute and an expensive one

Stick to GoldCoast area. that is the most expat friendly area of that part of the New Territories. It's less expaty than the most expaty area of HK but this is by for the most expat friendly area of this part of HK.

And your money will go a lot longer in GoldCoast than in Pokfulam.

But if you go for GoldCoast AVOID the GoldCoast residence (Oldish and averagely maintained). Aegan Coast just across is a lot better for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid ACB:
    I'll have a good look around both gold coast and pok fu lam, we get an orientation package so we should have plenty of time to make a call. Although the latter looks more appealing for all the access it gives to nature parks etc on Hong Kong Island.

thanks for everyones advice - very encouraged by the response here
    GoldCoast is located at the bottom of one of HK biggest country park so not sure why you think Pok Fu Lam is better in that respect..........

Stick to expatty expat areas, expat.

civil_servant and juanalias like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    GoldCoast is located at the bottom of one of HK biggest country park so not sure why you think Pok Fu Lam is better in that respect..........
    Not only that, but the country park next to the Gold Coast has the most extensive mountain bike network in all of Hong Kong, which you will not find in Pok Fu Lam. Honestly, if you work in Tuen Mun, then the Gold Coast should be a no-brainer. Beaches, mountains, marina, restaurants that don't have queues, lots of outdoor space, no roadside pollution, very affordable high quality living, and access to International schools via shuttle buses. Honestly, the rent differential alone would take care of more than one kids tuition for Harrow if that is the kind of school you like. The drive to Central takes 30 minutes if you want to go spend time on Hong Kong island on the weekends.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Gold coast. But even then black point is at least 30 mins in a car/cab and no buses I know of.

I live at the Gold coast. Whoever is telling you its not international and is polluted has clearly never been here. Pok fu Lam is the most idiotic suggestion I could possibly imagine for your situation. Clearly came from a banker or someone whose job is in central.

If you must live near that set, go for Kowloon station area. At least you will be on the right side of the tunnel / traffic and next to the freeway up to Tuen mun.

jimbo and chingleutsch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I live at the Gold coast. Whoever is telling you its not international and is polluted has clearly never been here. Pok fu Lam is the most idiotic suggestion I could possibly imagine for your situation. Clearly came from a banker or someone whose job is in central.
    I'm thinking someone with kids in Kellett or GSIS has given OP some silly advice.
    Fiona in HKG and chingleutsch like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If you must live near that set, go for Kowloon station area. At least you will be on the right side of the tunnel / traffic and next to the freeway up to Tuen mun.
    Or someone who only leaves Hong Kong island to go to the airport.

OP is sooo lucky to have his office in New Territories. So can combine cheaper housing and short commute - a dream!

Gold coast. But even then black point is at least 30 mins in a car/cab and no buses I know of.
    K52 bus route passes the power station - I don't usually go that far on it, but I do know it's easy enough to catch K51 or K53 to Sam Shing LRT, cut through the LRT station, and catch the K52 from the other side.

Sorry, thinking of wrong power station, but the K52 does get closest unless there's a minibus running up further.
    2nd edit - come to think of it, it wouldn't surprise me if such a remote place would lay on buses for staff, but it is definitely something to check.
    Last edited by chingleutsch; 09-12-2016 at 01:29 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast