Like Tree78Likes

Haunted Apartment: Moving out and breaking lease

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Haunted Apartment: Moving out and breaking lease

hello all, i've recently decided, after collecting keys to my apartment just 2 weeks ago, that i should move out of my current apartment. turns out that the place is haunted (like top 10 most haunted place in HK), and a friend separately warned me that there was a being in my current apartment. for most rational people, these would not matter perhaps, but it does to me. it's really a pain (monetarily) and hassle to move out so quickly after really liking the place a lot.

so...could i get an opinion on what are usually the terms for breaking lease in HK?

mine is a 1 year + 1 year, with a 2-month deposit. I understood that as the tenant breaking please, i could lose all of my deposit plus the 13 months where i have to pay the full 13 months rent.

Quote Originally Posted by otxtquotient:
    so...could i get an opinion on what are usually the terms for breaking lease in HK?
    Its whatever the contract says....
    mine is a 1 year + 1 year, with a 2-month deposit. I understood that as the tenant breaking please, i could lose all of my deposit plus the 13 months where i have to pay the full 13 months rent.
    If thats what it says, then thats what it is....

But in practice, if you are nice and talk to you landlord, help find a new tenant and make sure he is not out of pocket, he will most likely not say anything...
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Was it cheaper than comparative apartments?

Pidaras likes this.

Were you told it was haunted?

Pidaras likes this.

Hopefully it was not haunted by the old landlord!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

There was a case against Centaline that hit the courts back in 2004 where a prospective buyer wasn't told that the property was hongza ("calamity house" ) and the company was required to pay compensation to the buyer, who had backed out of the transaction.

In his ruling the judge stated: "If an estate agent acting for a purchaser knows, or ought to have known of the occurrence of a tragic incident in a property, and knew or ought reasonably to have known that this would materially affect the value of the property, that agent would owe a duty to alert its client to that fact,"

But obviously this only applies to a property sale, not a rental.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just stop believing in ghosts?

can you post a photo of the ghost?

What Howard says. And do help the landlord find a new tenant so it won't cost him agency fees again. If you do that he might not make too much of a fuss.

May I ask where you live?

what are the stats of the place? maybe ill take it, love ghosts.

Pidaras likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast