Why are they asking me to pay without confirming my booking? (The Lodge)

Why are they asking me to pay without confirming my booking? (The Lodge)

I've asked to make a reservation with The Lodge in Kowloon and they have said that I need to pay upfront with the deposit etc but that the apartment can't be confirmed until 2 weeks before I get there!!

This seems ridiculous... what if it's not available?? I'll be stuck with nowhere to stay!

Has anyone had any experience of this place? Or can anyone explain to me why they're doing this?

Last edited by vik85; 08-11-2008 at 06:55 AM.

This sounds fishy to me - is there anything on their website to indicate this is normal?. If you have a credit card you may be able to use that and then claim back if the service is not provided (many do, but check yours).

Hello vik85,

I'm in the middle of my second month staying at The Lodge and, FWIW, IMHO it's a classy operation (they are the people who operate the mid-to-higher-end V serviced apartments) that is unlikely to rip you off.

I can relate to your trepidation, though, having been in your shoes just two months ago and thousands of miles away, not knowing what to expect and how the locals do business.

GeoExpat forum posters, in particular Alby, gave me some confidence that this was not a fly-by-night outfit:

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/post187954-2.html

I had the advantage of being able to spend a week in a hotel Hong Kong side before needing to move in but made a point of trekking over to Kowloon the day I flew in to hand over the HK$ draft (for the first month's rent and the one-month deposit) that I had brought with me and, frankly, to check the place out.

Although I didn't get a chance to look at the studio suite (it was occupied at the time), my mind was set at ease by the professionalism of the young ladies who man the office.

My experience with the customer service both on-site and at HQ has been uniformly positive. Have a friendly chat with Josephine at the main office and I'm sure you'll be able to work something out.

Best of luck!

Often this sort of place has a policy that gives priority to current tennants, and they will only lease out rooms within 2-4 weeks of the commencement of the lease period, and if the current long term residents have not renewed within 2 weeks of the end of the month. Thus, they only know the availability of the rooms 2 weeks prior to your booking.

say, for arguements sake, if they let you book 6 months in advance, then lease the room to a short term agreement within that 6 months, then the short term leasee has the right to continue if they wish, which means they could easily stay beyond your booking. This is why they have the policy, as it means once you are there, your room is available as long as you want it, and you can renew monthly as you wish (with the occasional minor increase in rent).

fwed,

I believe you are exactly right. I had to tell them two weeks
    before my first month ran out whether I wished to extend for
    another month. That is the policy, but in practice, if they
    are not full, I think they can be flexible.