Ceiling fan installation : any recommendations for contractors?

Closed Thread

Ceiling fan installation : any recommendations for contractors?

Hi,

I bought a few ceiling fans a few years ago and didn't think about at the time the cost of installation if moving flats.

I bought them from SMC in Chai Wan, who I called this morning charging $500 for 1 ceiling fan installation, then $400 each fan if more than 1 fan. If I knew it cost that much for installation, I would have probably hesitated in buying the ceiling fans in the first place.

As I have a few of these, it seems silly to pay that amount (same as buying 1 new ceiling fan) just for installation.

Does anyone know if that IS the standard or reasonable cost of installation for ceiling fans?

Or does anyone know of a good reliable qualified professional electrician/contractor who can do the proper installation and who will charge less than what SMC are charging?

Please don't recommend any unqualified electricians or contractors though. I don't want ceiling fans falling down and taking someone's head off!

If you're talking HKD then 400 each is totally normal. Takes two people a little less than an hour to fully install them - not unreasonable imho.

$400 is actually not bad at all, assuming you have the hook in place in the ceiling.

Please don't recommend any unqualified electricians or contractors though. I don't want ceiling fans falling down and taking someone's head off!
    Those cost around $350 a fan install.

That reminds me. If one were to do it themselves, would that be legal in Hong Kong?

CEILING FAN INSTALLATION COSTS

Thanks for your advice.

I just managed to find and call one other ceiling fan company.
    The lady who answered immediately gave me the mobile number of an electrician to try.
    (I'm assuming it's one of their own lighting electricians!).
    He's charging $350 per ceiling fan.

No, there's no hook in place in the ceiling.
    But he did say he only does work on lighting and ceiling fans (I asked to see if he will do other handyman jobs).
    He can speak English too, which is a bonus!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chips:
    Thanks for your advice.

I just managed to find and call one other ceiling fan company.
    The lady who answered immediately gave me the mobile number of an electrician to try.
    (I'm assuming it's one of their own lighting electricians!).
    He's charging $350 per ceiling fan.

No, there's no hook in place in the ceiling.
    But he did say he only does work on lighting and ceiling fans (I asked to see if he will do other handyman jobs).
    He can speak English too, which is a bonus!

Thanks
    I just moved to Hong Kong and too am looking at installing a ceiling fan with lamps. Did you end up going with this electrician? How was the service? Was the fan properly installed and is it working as advertised?