Like Tree13Likes

Best place to find decent flats for one person with (a reasonable rent)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best place to find decent flats for one person with (a reasonable rent)

Hello fellow expats,

Would like to hear some advice on the best places to look at if I want to find a small flat for one person with a reasonable rent.

My understanding of "decent" mainly refers to good interior design, especially regarding the kitchen and bathroom area. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just need a place that's well designed in terms of space and with good facilities.

Size:
    I'm happy with anything larger than 200 square feet as my budget is not high. (I plan to spend no more than 12K per month)

I work in Tin Hau and would like to keep the commute time within 40 minutes(one-way) from door to door.
    Ideally I would like to find a place nearby but I guess with my budget I'd better include Kowloon side in my search as well. (I am considering places around the stations along the red line: from Sham Shui Po to Tsim Sha Tsui)

It seems quite hard to find a place that meet my requirements as most of the estates are designed for families with at least two bedrooms, which is why I am turning to this forum to see if I could get tips on some particular area/buildings. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by FuwOo; 26-02-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Tough with that miniscule budget. Hong Kong ain't getting any cheaper.

Decent flat

Reasonable price
    Pick one.
    emx and Char Siu King like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Tough with that miniscule budget. Hong Kong ain't getting any cheaper.
    I know...
    I do speak some Cantonese and don't mind living in more "local" areas. Hopefully that would help...

Quote Originally Posted by FuwOo:
    I know...
    I do speak some Cantonese and don't mind living in more "local" areas. Hopefully that would help...
    That would help, yes, but then again you are asking for "good design" & "good facilities" ....

With that budget, I would look for old buildings and forget about the design and facilities bit
    or
    Look for a flat share which would give you a better chance at the facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    Pick one.
    You got me.
    Yes I know it's difficult to solve a problem with too tight constraints. (I wouldn't have to post this thread if the problem is easy.)

I guess what I am willing to compromise is the size of the flat rather than the quality, but it seems that small flats with good qualities are rare here, thus why I asked my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    That would help, yes, but then again you are asking for "good design" & "good facilities" ....

With that budget, I would look for old buildings and forget about the design and facilities bit
    or
    Look for a flat share which would give you a better chance at the facilities.
    Thanks. I'd prefer a place of my own, at least for now.
    Yes, old buildings are an option.
    When I said good design and good facilities I don't mean marble tops and fully equipped western kitchen. I simply need the place functional and practical. I've seen too many horrible kitchens and bathrooms here. I just want something "normal".

They advertised a trial offer of $18,888 / month for the studio apartment but it expired. You may call them to ask for a quote -

Promotion | Kornhill Apartment

Part of the issue is of course that local people's views on what makes a "decent" kitchen or bathroom bear little relationship to what those of us from many other countries think ... I mean, the kitchen has a sink, washing machine, double gas burner and room for a rice cooker, the fridge is round the corner in the living room with the microwave on top of it, and you put a plastic cover over the dining table when you're preparing the food for cooking - isn't that how EVERYONE does things??

Regarding space, I've lucked out in some 1980's blocks where someone has taken out one bedroom, expanded the other a bit, and made a larger living room (and did the same myself when I had my own place in Macau ), so you could check if any local agents know of any such properties available.

shri, FuwOo, Fiona in HKG and 2 others like this.

I think your best bet would be to find a newly renovated flat in an older building in Kowloon. Somewhere in Yau Ma Tei, Mong Kok or Prince Edward close to the MTR would be workable.

shri, FuwOo and DrWho like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast