Dual Agency - is this a problem?

Closed Thread

Dual Agency - is this a problem?

First time poster here. Have been lurking for a few months - posters have been so helpful here, so hoping for some views.

I'm looking to rent an apartment and just wandered into one of the many rental agencies and started talking to a guy inside. I understand that the agent works for the landlord, and since I don't have my own agent, he will represent both myself and the landlord in a dual agency. Obviously, I'm concerned about a potential conflict of interest here.

Wonder if anyone here has done the same. Did you go and do anything to protect yourself, i.e. have a lawyer look over your tenancy agreement, etc.?

HKExpat 2017

Its not uncommon at all. Always assume the agent is working for the landlord! Tenancy agreements are fairly standard but if you have a friend or someone check it over that wouldn't be a bad idea. Things to watch out for are who is responsible for fixtures and fittings, wear and tear etc. Procedures for handing back the keys and getting your deposit back (if any).

Dual agency means double commission. Many agents will only work with listings they have. Some will co-op. No problem at all. Just do your own research to see what market price is. After all as long as you are happy with the place then price becomes secondary. Last thing you want is to be miserable with bugs and water leaks so you can save a couple g per month.

Contracts are usually standard but read it and don't accept responsibility to maintain the flat. Let the landlord be responsible for wear and tear.