Like Tree59Likes

Neighbours from HELL... a story of 8 dogs

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

If you are only renting, then I don't see a big problem for you. Just stop paying rent NOW and move out in 2 months from now and it costs you nothing. No need to wait until the end of the lease. You can be upfront and honest with your landlord, try to be nice with them, maybe even offer to move out in one month rather than two so you are forfeiting one month of your deposit to them. I actually pity the landlord because they are the ones with the ongoing problem. But if the LL doesn't like your generous offer of one month rent then get nasty and tell them you'll move out in two months rather than one but either way they are not getting another cent out of you. Any complaints they have just tell them to direct to the neighbours and not you. The LL is not providing you with a reasonable place to stay, they did not help you sort out the issue, so why keep paying them every month?

100LL and jrkob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Try directly confronting the neighbors about it and video it if possible. Just audio will work too. See if you can get them to admit to mistreating their animals.
    It isn't that easy catching them coming/going. They tend to leave the apartment during the day while we are at work. Confrontation doesn't help, the management have said the case has been going on for years. Any complaints we made only aggravates them (we had been warned not to even approach the woman) and security guards aren't allowed to call them as its deemed as 'harassment'.

In the first few weeks, my parents visited and were around in the daytime a lot. They tried to reason with the guy and said he was fairly agreeable at first, saying he would soundproof and change the feeding times so they wouldn't wake us at ridiculous times. However none of this worked and since then it has spiralled badly. No chance they would admit to mistreating the pets, he actually told my parents they're animal lovers and thats why they couldn't get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    If you are only renting, then I don't see a big problem for you. Just stop paying rent NOW and move out in 2 months from now and it costs you nothing. No need to wait until the end of the lease. You can be upfront and honest with your landlord, try to be nice with them, maybe even offer to move out in one month rather than two so you are forfeiting one month of your deposit to them. I actually pity the landlord because they are the ones with the ongoing problem. But if the LL doesn't like your generous offer of one month rent then get nasty and tell them you'll move out in two months rather than one but either way they are not getting another cent out of you. Any complaints they have just tell them to direct to the neighbours and not you. The LL is not providing you with a reasonable place to stay, they did not help you sort out the issue, so why keep paying them every month?
    I guess this is what I would do.
    Just move. Don't expect any change.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    The solution to all this is - journalism.

Do you know the restaurant they own? If so, get some pictures of the place along with video proof of all the barking and put it up on social media. If you're serious about this, find a local video producer and have them narrate a video in Cantonese with comments about the smell. Bonus if you can get them to interview some tenants.

Guaranteed success if you do it right.
    We actually unintentionally found out where they worked just randomly walking around the neighbourhood... Ktown is pretty small. I actually can't believe they can own a restaurant considering the squalor they must live in. In all honesty i don't want it to get nasty, just from what sort of people they are. I was also very surprised how unwilling the other neighbours are to get involved. One other flat on our floor said they had been here for a decade and they had accepted the situation. I am not sure if it is just the local mentality to avoid stirring up unnecessary trouble..

They probably wouldn't care too much for a video, they've gotten away with it for years. They know they've managed to evade the police, the management, the SPCA

Original Post Deleted
    Yep, locks are changed. So you mean to just move out two months before lease is done?

The landlord was clearly aware of this problem when they let the place to you. I see no reason you should play nice and stay out the end of your lease, and concur with the 'stay two months to use your deposit, then move out'.

Document all communications about your complaints, if he ever comes after you, you can point out that he didn't provide a place fit for habitation (the legal definition of which might not cover noise and smells from from dogs, but I double the landlord would want to argue it).

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I tried being reasonable with her and she said if i left, i would forfeit the 2 months. Any explanation to her that it is her ongoing problem doesn't seem to get through, I'm guessing she is resigning to the fact she's stuck and is forever going to get unhappy tenants. I spoke to lawyer friends and also friends who are property agents etc. The consensus was that she could take me to court if i stopped paying rent due to the legally binding contract. They all advised NOT to do this. I had them also check the contract out, and as it is general rental one I don't appear to be protected by much. It is very much a landlord's market here apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    From the way you describe it, it sounds like the SPCA should be involved. It's animal neglect and that can be a crime. If the animals are locked in a small space for lengthy periods of time, then there is only the proof of you as a witness but this should be sufficient. Can you contact them again and explain neglect. Perhaps I can help in PM? It would be good to get the inspectors just to come.

Another thing, if you suspect they are breeding this is important as it's now illegal to do this without a license. animals
    Believe me, i have tried so many times. If the tenant doesn't open the door, (which they never do or they're not at home), they cannot do anything. Same goes for the police. We did have some suspicion they could be breeders but again SPCA will not intervene based on just what we say.

Quote Originally Posted by hk902:
    We actually unintentionally found out where they worked just randomly walking around the neighbourhood... Ktown is pretty small. I actually can't believe they can own a restaurant considering the squalor they must live in.
    Please PM me the name of the restaurant as I don't want to support these people and live nearby!
    rickyross and jayinhongkong like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    I guess this is what I would do.
    Just move. Don't expect any change.
    I really wish i could. However I have been forcefully advised by numerous lawyer and real estate agent friends i shouldn't do this because the landlord will have a right to demand the rent back. Unfair as it is.

They said the only way to get rid of the pets is if the building management or landlord takes legal action against the couple. Supposedly this is underway (since Jan) but i have my doubts as the neighbours had shown no signs of change...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast