Like Tree59Likes

Neighbours from HELL... a story of 8 dogs

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hk902
    We actually unintentionally found out where they worked just randomly walking around the neighbourhood... Ktown is pretty small. I actually can't believe they can own a restaurant considering the squalor they must live in.
    Please PM me the name of the restaurant as I don't want to support these people and live nearby!
    rickyross and jayinhongkong like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL
    I guess this is what I would do.
    Just move. Don't expect any change.
    I really wish i could. However I have been forcefully advised by numerous lawyer and real estate agent friends i shouldn't do this because the landlord will have a right to demand the rent back. Unfair as it is.

They said the only way to get rid of the pets is if the building management or landlord takes legal action against the couple. Supposedly this is underway (since Jan) but i have my doubts as the neighbours had shown no signs of change...

bdw

I really wish i could. However I have been forcefully advised by numerous lawyer and real estate agent friends i shouldn't do this because the landlord will have a right to demand the rent back. Unfair as it is.

They said the only way to get rid of the pets is if the building management or landlord takes legal action against the couple. Supposedly this is underway (since Jan) but i have my doubts as the neighbours had shown no signs of change...
    You absolutely can and should and the advice of numerous random strangers on geoexpat.com is far superior to the advice of so called lawyers and real estate agents

Seriously, money talks. Stop paying the rent now. If you want to be nice move out in a month and forfeit a month of your deposit. LL will not sue you, if they do you stay 2 months instead or even longer without paying them anything and they know is not worth the hassle.
    jrkob and 100LL like this.

We soon also found out that our landlord was less than willing to help or get involved in the situation, with the constant excuse that it wasn't her fault and refusing to let us leave or reduce any rent. Her only condition was that we needed to find a replacement if we left, a situation that we wouldn't wish on any other tenants but would also be impossible. Eventually even the agent agreed that they would not want to assist as they found it unethical to allow someone else to sign up to this. As the couple were never home during the day, ...
    Hmmmm, then why did they allow you to sign up to this?
    One way to get the agent to help you is to force their agency. Go to the real estate agents office EVERY day; and complain tothat branch manager... tell them to find you a replacement flat, at their cost.

Licensing
    Do a search of that agency office (and the agent) and lodge your complaint there. You have nothing to loose. The agency OFFICE however... would now have skin in the game. They KNEW this was a problem flat, and they pretend ignorance. At the very least, you have lodged a complaint. True.... nothing may come out of it.
    But then, these agents also accepted commission from the landlord !

If this is a co-broking lease, ie landlord used agent A and tenant used agent B, then you can find out who is agent A. Got both agents on the hook and let the agents pressure the landlord to let you out of the lease.

Ask your real-estate agent friends on how to lodge complaint with the EAA
    Seriously put pressure on the agent; these real estate agents are resourceful... they will find a way to "help" you when it is their own skin on the line. So; put their skin in the game
    http://www.eaa.org.hk/en-us/licence-search
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    The landlord was clearly aware of this problem when they let the place to you. I see no reason you should play nice and stay out the end of your lease, and concur with the 'stay two months to use your deposit, then move out'.

Document all communications about your complaints, if he ever comes after you, you can point out that he didn't provide a place fit for habitation (the legal definition of which might not cover noise and smells from from dogs, but I double the landlord would want to argue it).
    Yes she was clearly aware of the problem but her argument was that i didn't ask so she didn't have to tell me. She wouldn't even agree to lowering any rent. She also says she isn't responsible for any external factors and that her even getting involved now is her from the goodness of her own heart?! All she has to provide is the fixing of any issues within the flat. I have argued to no avail but she literally has no sympathy and i am guessing the next tenant is going to continue to suffer

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Please PM me the name of the restaurant as I don't want to support these people and live nearby!
    I will find out the name, i can only describe by the location. Pretty gross but i saw one of their dogs roaming in the restaurant when i walked past.

I will find out the name, i can only describe by the location. Pretty gross but i saw one of their dogs roaming in the restaurant when i walked past.
    Location and restaurant type is fine...ugh I don't want to eat at a place run by people who live in filth.

Tell us the name of the building so other Expats can avoid it.

TigerSun and dumbdonkey like this.

Yes she was clearly aware of the problem but her argument was that i didn't ask so she didn't have to tell me. She wouldn't even agree to lowering any rent. She also says she isn't responsible for any external factors and that her even getting involved now is her from the goodness of her own heart?! All she has to provide is the fixing of any issues within the flat. I have argued to no avail but she literally has no sympathy and i am guessing the next tenant is going to continue to suffer
    Yes, well that sounds like utter bullshit to me. Working 'with' her is clearly going to get absolutely nowhere, and she's probably run the same line on the people before you.

The time it takes for your LL to sue you and even get you physically evicted is 3 months minimum. STOP paying the next two months rent, move out before the end of the month. Start moving shit as soon as you can after you find a new apartment. Take it as a learning lesson. Stay longer, look longer at any new places.

jrkob likes this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast