Like Tree59Likes

Neighbours from HELL... a story of 8 dogs

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hk902
    I really wish i could. However I have been forcefully advised by numerous lawyer and real estate agent friends i shouldn't do this because the landlord will have a right to demand the rent back. Unfair as it is.

They said the only way to get rid of the pets is if the building management or landlord takes legal action against the couple. Supposedly this is underway (since Jan) but i have my doubts as the neighbours had shown no signs of change...
    What's the worst that'll happen, that you'll have to go to court and pay back the two months, or something significantly in addition to that?

If it's two months rent and a couple of days spent in court, I don't see that as a massive downside compared to what you're already faced with. The upside being that the landlord gives it up as a lost cause.

(Yeah, I am not a lawyer, just some random stranger on the internet!)

My sympathies. Nothing more frustrating than having laws and rules and zero enforcement.

Not a lawyer, but the building management is clearly evading their principal function of their contract to enforce the laws of the building. That this should go on in a 'no pets' building is absurd. Starting a lawsuit against building management might wake them up and get them off their ass.

As Rani said, publish the building AND I would include the incompetent and ineffectual management company so we can avoid any of their buildings.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    You absolutely can and should and the advice of numerous random strangers on geoexpat.com is far superior to the advice of so called lawyers and real estate agents

Seriously, money talks. Stop paying the rent now. If you want to be nice move out in a month and forfeit a month of your deposit. LL will not sue you, if they do you stay 2 months instead or even longer without paying them anything and they know is not worth the hassle.
    thanks for this, i am going to try this now...worth a go. She is so lazy i doubt she will even bother taking any action...

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInHK
    Hmmmm, then why did they allow you to sign up to this?
    One way to get the agent to help you is to force their agency. Go to the real estate agents office EVERY day; and complain tothat branch manager... tell them to find you a replacement flat, at their cost.

Licensing
    Do a search of that agency office (and the agent) and lodge your complaint there. You have nothing to loose. The agency OFFICE however... would now have skin in the game. They KNEW this was a problem flat, and they pretend ignorance. At the very least, you have lodged a complaint. True.... nothing may come out of it.
    But then, these agents also accepted commission from the landlord !

If this is a co-broking lease, ie landlord used agent A and tenant used agent B, then you can find out who is agent A. Got both agents on the hook and let the agents pressure the landlord to let you out of the lease.

Ask your real-estate agent friends on how to lodge complaint with the EAA
    Seriously put pressure on the agent; these real estate agents are resourceful... they will find a way to "help" you when it is their own skin on the line. So; put their skin in the game
    Licence list
    this is great, appreciate this info.

Agent claimed no knowledge of this, which i highly doubt. She seems to 'work' for the landlord, ie. she would mediate whenever we had an issue. She denies being paid to help her with tenancy issues and said she's trying to be helpful... it all seemed a little suspicious. Will be filing with the EAA shortly!

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    My sympathies. Nothing more frustrating than having laws and rules and zero enforcement.

Not a lawyer, but the building management is clearly evading their principal function of their contract to enforce the laws of the building. That this should go on in a 'no pets' building is absurd. Starting a lawsuit against building management might wake them up and get them off their ass.

As Rani said, publish the building AND I would include the incompetent and ineffectual management company so we can avoid any of their buildings.
    Harbourview Garden in Kennedy Town. I don't know the management company name at the top of my head but will check tonight

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Location and restaurant type is fine...ugh I don't want to eat at a place run by people who live in filth.
    its the japanese place right next to Pricerite. Avoid
    misshappy26 likes this.

For animal cruelty you can report to the AFCD (call 1823) and they are obliged to come and inspect the premises.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    The time it takes for your LL to sue you and even get you physically evicted is 3 months minimum. STOP paying the next two months rent, move out before the end of the month. Start moving shit as soon as you can after you find a new apartment. Take it as a learning lesson. Stay longer, look longer at any new places.
    If i left before the lease is up, is she entitled to recover the rent for the remaining months that i haven't stayed up till? That's the part i am concerned about her taking legal action for. I have heard lots of suggestions to stop paying for next 2 months and she keeps the deposit for that.

Quote Originally Posted by anorak
    For animal cruelty you can report to the AFCD (call 1823) and they are obliged to come and inspect the premises.
    I called them a few times and no luck... i informed them about the smell etc that it clearly can't be healthy or sanitary but they said as it is private and not public space, they are restricted in what can be done.

Apparently they have been around in the past from other complaints but if the neighbour doesn't open the door, they just have to leave. It is the same process as the police.

Quote Originally Posted by anorak
    And if you suspect they are breeders then they need to be licensed, If not then they're in trouble.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast