Like Tree59Likes

Neighbours from HELL... a story of 8 dogs

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    You seem to be saying that in Hong Kong, if you have good reason to suspect that an animal is being abused or starved, all the authorities here will allow that to happen simply because no one opens the door? They will shrug their shoulders and walk away rather than intervene and save the animal's life.

I'm not doubting you, because this is Hong Kong, and I have had numerous WTF moments myself. But this can't be true, surely?

In other countries I have lived, police or, the SPCA with the police, would break in if there was reasonable cause. Here we have security who know there are dogs present, know the owners abandon them inside a flat for days and that the animals never leave the flat, a resident complaining of smell and noise of unattended animals, and not one organisation or authority will lift a finger to do anything. Shameful if so.
    Yes, this has been my experience so far and i agree its pretty terrible. SPCA cannot force entry into the flat. I have also filed more than 4 police reports for noise disturbance and the cops have been over, they are fully aware of the situation and they also cannot do anything. The AFCD is also the same. I am not doubting they have probably tried to come in the past (seriously no past tenants could just put up with this and not complain!! ) but to no avail as they won't open the door and seeing as this is on-going for years, its probably a lost cause in their eyes. They have all informed me than they can only access the flat through a court order. The building management claim they are taking legal action which doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon...

SPCA in HK doesnt really have much power and to break into a house the Police would have to have really strong reasons or even a warrant to enter. Highly unlikely for pets.

well if the smell is THAT bad perhaps there is a dead body inside... sure the police would enter if they had a "reasonable suspicion" of that! This is the kind of thing you just need the right officer for.....

So an update on my situation and I hope to get some more advice from people again!

The dogs now seem to have left the building, the whereabouts I am not too clear but the cats still sound like they are inside. So the noise issue is now pretty much gone but the smell is still there. We met briefly with the neighbour who has confirmed he has moved and so will his animals...however the smell will not subside as it is within the walls, floors, etc. 17 years of filth. He has said he plans to have maintenance work done, ie stripping the entire flat which will inevitably bring noise and further nuisance till the end of our lease.

Due to this we stopped paying our rent this month and the landlord threatened legal action. She would not reduce the rent to a fair amount so we informed her to keep the 2 month deposit and we vacate the flat at the end of May. She then agreed to let us leave early but under the condition that we leave mid May for no other reason than she was trying to be difficult. We refused and now she has sent through a legal letter by email. As per most of the advice I received on here, I wasn't expecting her to go through with this. Please can anyone advise what should be our next plan of action??

Quote Originally Posted by hk902:
    Please can anyone advise what should be our next plan of action??
    Escape while you can!

She then agreed to let us leave early but under the condition that we leave mid May for no other reason than she was trying to be difficult.
    That's a face thing, they would lose face if they let you leave early so they're trying to win something back to show how ballsy they are.

We refused and now she has sent through a legal letter by email.
    Lol? I'm pretty sure legal letters have to be notarized and delivered through the postal service or in person. Just don't reply to the email - say you never received anything in your inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    That's a face thing, they would lose face if they let you leave early so they're trying to win something back to show how ballsy they are.
    Should i be worried or not then??

Should i be worried or not then??
    Unless they are barrister, that you are from south east asia and stole their meatballs? Nope, I did that with a landlord was being a dick and wouldn't fix things in the flat, I just send a message saying they can keep the deposit, they complained first and did same as you. I just told them they can try kicking me out and I will call the police. They did nothing.

Did landlord send you a letter too?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast