Like Tree3Likes

Pet-friendly apartments

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Do not move to Cullinan West if you have a dog

The Cullinan West is a relatively new building and was trying to market itself as dog friendly (at this point I'm presuming just to fill up the apartments fast). However they have already amended the DMC (as of of Feb 13) and placed ridiculous restrictions on dogs, making everyday things a hassle. The concierge told me that someone found pee in the elevator and requested they change the dog policies. I pressured him for information a bit because it didn't seem obvious to me that it would be a dog's pee given that it is common behavior for people in Hong Kong to pee in elevators but actually uncommon behaviour for a dog to pee somewhere that doesn't have a natural scent or scent of another dog's pee. Bless his naive and honest heart he actually just casually admitted that when they reviewed the CCTV footage they in fact found that it was someone letting their children pee in the elevator. Children and families, however, are still allowed in the elevator. It makes me so sad that in a culture where people are allowed to pee in public/shared community places they will somehow use people's pee as an excuse to block dogs from common areas needed to get into and out of the building. They aren't blocking children or people (who clearly also have the potential to pee in elevators) and they haven't caught any dogs peeing in elevators so it's obviously not potential pee that's the issue. It makes me so sad that the education level about animals is so low here that they have no realistic concept of pet behavior and because of that it is innocent pets who didn't choose to be born here who will suffer.

Yes true, if there were uneducated owners in the building, especially if there had been any caught on camera, it would be a completely different story! If there are any uneducated pet owners out there I’d be much more concerned for their pets

Quote Originally Posted by ACath:
    Yes true, if there were uneducated owners in the building, especially if there had been any caught on camera, it would be a completely different story! If there are any uneducated pet owners out there I’d be much more concerned for their pets
    .... as those pets don't have anybody to take care of them in the first place much less protect them from the ignorance of others. As I mentioned in the OP my building doesn't have any cases of uneducated dog owners - only uneducated parents, who let their children pee in shared spaces and don't clean it up (not that I think the result of such behaviour should be necessarily to ban children from the elevators either; I just realize how silly it is to change a policy about dogs because of children's actions and/or parents' lack of hygienic understanding IE even without dogs in the elevators, children will still be able to pee in there, so the problem will not be solved and residents will still be unhappy about the pee in the elevators situation). Although it does put things in perspective! At least I'm dealing with illogical building management and a lack of reliability on policies rather than straight up abuse towards my dog. I know there is a lot of dog abuse in Hong Kong, especially with couples who adopt dogs for instagram pictures, then break up and throw the dogs out in the streets as if they are an inanimate accessory they want to throw away. The HKSPCA comes across many of these cases when they find microchips in their rescues and try to return the pets to their original owners, which is just so sad to me. I'm not sorry to say I definitely don't feel peaceful at all about you and others who don't have the heart to understand and respect the other lives we share this planet with. Dogs are actually not a "hassle" in everyone's mind just because they are in yours. They offer so much more love and less harm to their communities and this planet than humans do. They only become a "hassle" if you expect them to be an accessory and you don't have the heart to take care of them or you are so ignorant about their nature that you attack them out of the baseless fear you created for yourself. When they are abused they act out accordingly. Thankfully there are a lot of people in this world who treat their pets well and therefore see pet ownership as a joyful privilege. I hope more people can educate themselves about animals so that they stop wasting their time creating problems that don't need to exist and can instead use their time and energy to solve the ones that do exist - like finding a solution that will actually change the current children-peeing-in-the-elevators situation in my building, or, like you said, developing the level of intelligence that would give them the apartment choosing skills to find a building which does not allow dogs in the first place as they don't understand enough about dogs to cope in this environment.

Manhattan Heights in Kennedy Town is no longer dog friendly... viewing apartments in Kennedy Town and the agent informed us the management committee has changed its mind...