Like Tree9Likes

HK Accomodations and Lifestyle

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool HK Accomodations and Lifestyle

Hi

I am new here and am in the midst of planning my move to HK in about 2 months time.
    Appreciate if I could get some help with some questions.
    1. Hillsborough Court -anyone familiar in this area. Is public transport an issue to get to central or is walking to central a viable option for work? Am thinking if the weather is conducive to walk and generally quite safe?

2. I noticed some accomodations which are rooftop accomodations - are there any concerns when renting rooftops.

3. For about 13-5K HKD, if i wanted somewhere at least 400-500 sq ft. Clean and comfortable, where would be a good option to look for with great access to MTR or walking distance to Central. I am working in Central. Besides monthly rental and utilities - i noticed some govt/maintainence tax. Anything else that are generally included into the rental and what are usually not included?

4. I am quite curious seeing that public transportation is supposed to be fantastic in HK - what's generally a common distance for HK people to walk. I'm from Malaysia btw and walking anything beyond 1KM in this weather can be quite a killer.

thanks and appreciate the help

regards
    Looking forward to Hong Kong!

I noticed some accomodations which are rooftop accomodations - are there any concerns when renting rooftops.
    Pitching a tent or a shed on a roof would be illegal.

If you live below the roof - make sure you're protected appropriately for leakage, water damage etc. You'll need to secure everything during typhoons. On the plus side - no noise from upstairs. On the down side, robbers can sneak in easily as the rooftop is always open. On the plus side you might have a view and a tiki garden which will make you a social media hero. On the down side, someone may fall off the roof during one of your epic parties...

Public transport is fine.. you'll get used to the weather. 1KM is a stroll in the park. Even a lazy arse like me does 1.5KM every morning to the starbucks and back.

At about $30/sq ft you should be fine - plenty of options. Really not sure if Hillsborough is in your range - if the one you're looking at is on Old Peak Road. That is a rather expensive property and not easily accessible by public transport (they do have a shuttle to Central if I recall.. better check).

Rethink the 13-5k bit.

jimbo and RDB like this.

sounds like the weather can be quite hazardous especially during rain
    I saw places like the one below where its a small place with a flat roof - so was wondering about that
    https://property.gohome.com.hk/Kenne...ad-1716667/en/

do you have any recommendations on areas for those kind of budget?

what would be a recommended budget? trying to not overload myself for a start since i'm not familiar with the area - worry to take a place i dont like and then stuck for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by pulsed:
    what would be a recommended budget? trying to not overload myself for a start since i'm not familiar with the area - worry to take a place i dont like and then stuck for 2 years.
    If you want to stay closer to work then 20k plus.
    Your original budget will get you a decent place Kowloon side.

wow..

If you're prepared to go MTR rather than hoofing it to Central, there are definitely places on the island which are a lot cheaper than Central/ Midlevels/ Admiralty area: check out Tin Hau and eastwards, Sai Ying Pun/ Kennedy Town, or Aberdeen area now the new MTR line has opened.
    And don't be put off by older blocks which look totally grotty on the outside - often individual flats in them have been very nicely renovated and offer more space for fewer $$. (of course, if your idea of "comfortable" includes ritzy facilities/ clubhouse, this won't work),

pulsed likes this.

Most of HK is very safe.

Rooftop units facing the sun can get too hot!! And too cold in the winter. High utilities. Leak prone. And it cost more so I wouldn't bother.

13-15k not getting anything but a small small studio about 100-200 sq ft. And not a real one. Probably an illegally subdivided flat. Push your budget to 20-25k and you'll have good options. Otherwise you get what you pay for. Leaks cockroaches broken appliances and AC, crazy neighbors, new buildings popping up with blasting and noise 6 days a week. Etc.

Old peak road is much more than what you've quoted. Maybe someone is renting a spare room for that price. It isn't convenient to walk to work from there. Too hot in the summers. Those people taxi or drive.

Management fee and government rates/taxes usually included in flats for rent under 50k ish. Above 100k they are separate as they save the owner on taxes. And it's up to the landlord and whatever the landlord tenant agree to.

Walking distance. 3 minutes to Mtr if you wear a suit max or better yet. No need to go outside to get to the Mtr is better. Once your outside. Pile of sweat and nasty at work. Many Mtr stations have estates on top.

kimwy66, jimbo and pulsed like this.

plenty of apartments for 13-15K in Wan chai, 2 stops to central by MTR or take a nice slow TRAM can get 1-2 bedroom places around 400 sq/ft, nothing fancy but hey you are not going to fork out 20K+.

Go walk around wan chai away from the bars like Jaffe Road, Lockhart road, Hennessy road, Wan Chai Road, all of them towards Causeway bay direction and look for local agents there, give them your specific budget, tell them NO apartment for more than 15K, must have lift, incl govt / building management fees.

when u do come to HK, stay in a serviced apartment or hotel for the 1 month, get a feel of the areas that you want to stay in and find local estate agent companies by the road.

pulsed, shri and chingleutsch like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast