Like Tree51Likes

How to check if an apartment is haunted?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dddc:
    So unkind... LOL

Would rather err on the side of caution.
    then your only solution is to kill yourself

Would rather err on the side of caution.
    Or rational thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Aysallas:
    It's 2017... Who still believes in this shit for fuck sake?!
    How can you be so cruel and unhelpful. Of course ghosts exist and are a real nuisance in HK! Lucky for you, dear original poster, I have a ghost detecting um, "gemstone" that will heat up when in the presence of a particularly nasty phantom thus alerting you to not enter any long term tenancy agreements. Simply carry it with you when out house hunting and you will be just fine. It is yours for let's say HKD20,000 or nearest reasonable offer…

Only reason I can see for even considering this is to try and find a bargain, not to avoid renting

There is a ghost app on App Store which even translates communication from the spirits.... maybe try that

I remember reading an article about this not so long ago (SCMP?), something about how the discount on superstitious* flats was decreasing as more people came out of the dark ages and saw them as potential bargains.

I think there's some clause in property contracts that states that a property isn't on the superstitious list.

* I realise that the use of '"superstitious" here is a little clumsy, but that's the most polite term I can come up with that still retains a trace of my disdain for people who subscribe to the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    I haven't tried this but I believe that if the flat is listed as a ghost place then it would be recorded on the land search and also you can check the bank valuation. I heard banks won't have a value for ghost flats online. If we know of one then we should check it out to see if this is accurate or not.
    Thanks! I trust the banker to provide better information than the real estate agent who has a potential conflict of interest.

Thanks! I trust the banker to provide better information than the real estate agent who has a potential conflict of interest.
    Have you considered using Google? "haunted house database" should work.

WTF - the hk govt "land search" has a filter by death type / haunting function or even a database field that shows this?

MandM! likes this.

Why is it irrational to check haunting if even banks won't lend and buyers won't buy (or demand an appropriate discount to take the risk to do so)? The point is that agents may attempt to try to shunt a haunted flat to someone who doesn't know any better at the regular (undiscounted) market price (the used car lemon theory).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast