Like Tree78Likes

Help! Landlord cut off my power.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    You are being harassed by the Landlord who cannot evict you without a court order, seek legal aid as stated in the bottom of the govt website, file a police report while your at it so u have some sort of evidence. Go to WAR!!!!!
    A Pyrrhic victory (English pronunciation: /ˌpɪɹ.ɪk ˈvɪk.t(ə)ɹ.i/ ( listen) or PEER-ik VIK-tree) is a victory that inflicts such a devastating toll on the victor that it is tantamount to defeat. Someone who wins a Pyrrhic victory has been victorious in some way. However, the heavy toll negates any sense of achievement or profit.
    HK_Katherine and kimwy66 like this.

Totally agree with this not being something you are likely to win.

He will probably turn the water off next ......

@jkrob the thing is regardless if he/her is in breach of a tenancy agreement the LL cant force the tenant out by harassing them, I know its going to a take a long time which wont help with the heat and no damm electricity, I'm just providing them some bullets to negotiate with the LL, let the LL know the tenant can also cause trouble for him. if the tenant stops paying rent and is in breach of the agreement the LL cant just kick the tenant out.

TB said its only $400 extra per month, hes minted with money so the $400 to him is like peanuts, not everyone has that luxury for more money. the OP could be on a low salary with lots of repayments for student loans etc etc and really cant afford the extra 400 right now and the op did say they are willing to leave in Aug but the LL wants the OP out within a month. In the end just trying to help a fellow Tenant

2. My tenant has failed to pay rent for several months and has deserted the property. Can I regain possession of my property by breaking open the door, throwing away the tenant's belongings and changing the lock?

A tenancy document will usually contain a clause that allows the landlord to re-enter the property if the tenant fails to pay rent. However, it is unsafe for the landlord to rely solely on this clause and re-enter the property in a self-help manner. The tenant can reappear a few months later and allege that the landlord has misappropriated valuables left in the property.

Apart from civil liability, the landlord may also face criminal charges. Section 119V of the Landlord and Tenant (Consolidation) Ordinance expressly provides that any person who unlawfully deprives a tenant of occupation of the relevant premises commits an offence and may be liable to a fine or even imprisonment.

Therefore, even if it may be quite certain that the tenant has deserted the property, the landlord should go through the appropriate legal procedures, which will eventually lead to the recovery of the property with the assistance of the bailiff.

report the subdivided flat, make the LL's life HELL lol

If you are the tenant of a "subdivided unit" or intend to rent a "subdivided unit" and discover the above-mentioned situation which may contravene the Buildings Ordinance, you should immediately ask the owner to carry out rectification works and report the case to the Buildings Department through:
    Telephone Hotline: 2626 1616 (Handled by '1823')
    Postal address: 12/F, Pioneer Centre, No. 750 Nathan Road, Kowloon
    Email address: [email protected]
    Electronic Reporting Form: Contact Us | Buildings Department
    Subdivision of a flat (Subdivided units) | Frequently Asked Questions | Home | Buildings Department

The landlord wants the OP out in one month, which they are legally entitled to do. The OP says they want to stay for three months rather than one. The landlord says OK but the rent will be $400 per month more. The OP says fuck you and I'm not paying rent anymore and take it out of my $12000 deposit. The landlord cuts the electricity. Is this an accurate summary of the situation?

I would not want a tenant like you. Correct the LL should not have cut your electricity, But you instigated it and it's your own bloody fault! You cannot demand to stay until July, he has the legal right for you to leave in one month. You broke the law first, he broke it second. For $400 a month you could have stayed until July as you wanted but now you have created your own mess and you are going to have to deal with the stress sorting it out, no lights and aircon in the mean time. The weathers warming up a bit these days, isn't it? Good luck.

shri and madal1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    @jkrob the thing is regardless if he/her is in breach of a tenancy agreement the LL cant force the tenant out by harassing them, I know its going to a take a long time which wont help with the heat and no damm electricity, I'm just providing them some bullets to negotiate with the LL, let the LL know the tenant can also cause trouble for him. if the tenant stops paying rent and is in breach of the agreement the LL cant just kick the tenant out.

TB said its only $400 extra per month, hes minted with money so the $400 to him is like peanuts, not everyone has that luxury for more money. the OP could be on a low salary with lots of repayments for student loans etc etc and really cant afford the extra 400 right now and the op did say they are willing to leave in Aug but the LL wants the OP out within a month. In the end just trying to help a fellow Tenant
    The tenant broke the law first by refusing to leave within one month as stipulated in the contract. Then the tenant broke the law a second time by not paying rent and telling the LL to take it out of deposit. Then the LL broke the law by cutting the electricity. So they are both breaking the law, but the tenant instigated the situation and they are in the lead 2:1 in terms of number of laws broken. So no sympathy from me for the tenant here.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The tenant broke the law first by refusing to leave within one month as stipulated in the contract. Then the tenant broke the law a second time by not paying rent and telling the LL to take it out of deposit. Then the LL broke the law by cutting the electricity. So they are both breaking the law, but the tenant instigated the situation and they are in the lead 2:1 in terms of number of laws broken. So no sympathy from me for the tenant here.
    Since we are keeping score
    The LL is renting out subdivided flats which is a yuge No No. I think he wins 6:2 as subdividing flats is a jailable offence AFAIK, so it gets 5 points while the other stuff is minor
    bdw, chuckster007, jrkob and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    The LL is renting out subdivided flats which is a yuge No No. I think he wins 6:2 as subdividing flats is a jailable offence AFAIK, so it gets 5 points while the other stuff is minor
    Good point, however is that ever actually enforced? There's LOADS of subdivided flats all over the place, if the rule was properly enforced there would be a similar number of landlords incarcerated all the time no?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    OK OK go to WAR!! But in the mean time, sit in the dark with no air-con

Rules are....
    Landlord is not allowed to cut the electric, this is haressment and a serious offence with a big fine.
    Unless the contract stipulates rental payment can be made within 15 days not 7 days.
    Landlord has to write a written letter to the tenant if he wishes for someone to vacate with prove of postage.
    Landlord has no right to evict you -he/she has to go the lands tribunal to gain an order.
    Sounds like he/she has been subdividing which could be against building regualations.
    Download the regualtions from the web and wave it in the tyrant's face!
    Lands tribunal are quite quick you will get a hearing in about a month.