Like Tree16Likes

Work near the Hong Kong Station, 75k salary, where to live and how much to pay?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

You like the idea of ferries, but are discounting Park Island because you need to catch a bus to the MTR? Am I missing something?

You definitely need to be on the ground here and look around for yourself - Real Life is totally different from what you read on the interwebs.

And don't discount places on the basis that they are not on the MTR: I don't know where you're living now, but Hong Kong's bus services are better than the metro systems just about anywhere. From my place near Tuen Mun, it is quicker for me to catch a bus into Central than it would be to catch the MTR from Yuen Long, just as one instance.

As others said, come here first. In general, as a newcomer, i suggest to stay on Hong Kong island first (maybe a year?) to socialize. Later, you can move to the "boring" areas. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch
    You definitely need to be on the ground here and look around for yourself - Real Life is totally different from what you read on the inter webs.
    +1. It's good that you are doing your research now and highlighting some possible places but nothing beats physically walking around an area.

And don't discount places on the basis that they are not on the MTR: I don't know where you're living now, but Hong Kong's bus services are better than the metro systems just about anywhere. From my place near Tuen Mun, it is quicker for me to catch a bus into Central than it would be to catch the MTR from Yuen Long, just as one instance.
    I think this depends. The good thing about the MTR is its consistency. You can plan your travel time almost down to the minute. Plus if your estate connects directly to the MTR that's a comfortable all-weather commute. Buses might be faster under ideal conditions but the uncertainty of the commute time is a turnoff for some.

Yoho is a nice place. Very new apartments, attached to a mall and the MTR. Interestingly, both Yoho and the similar new mall in Tuen Mun have really brought NT West into a new era.

Why, you may ask? In a word, Pizza Express! (OK, two words)... Surely that is the culinary pinnacle we all strive towards? Since I lived in NT, not one but two Pizza Expresses have sprung from nowhere, dragging me into a world of Sloppy Giuseppes and garlic butter doughballs. Oh and Japanese supermarkets popping up all over the place and giving me a relentless urge for Japanese cheese curry cup noodles.

But moving on from my apparent hunger, Olympic is an extremely easy commute to HK station, as is Tsing Yi, so if the price is comparable they're better options. They're probably even better options than most of HK island if you're working near HK station.

Mat

Surprised no one suggested the Gold Coast yet and Bus 962

nivantj likes this.

come to Hang Hau or Po Lam and find apartments right above the MTR stations, your commute to Central is around 35 mins, 1 train switch at North Point.

Hang Hau / Po Lam has nice greenery, bicycling tracks, close to Sai Kung / Clear water bay for Hiking, beaches.
    If you go out drinking in Wan Chai or Central and take taxi back late at night, aprox cost $130 (incl tunnel fee).

18K can get you an apartment in Hang Hau next to the MTR station, 2 bedroom, 500 sqft (actual usuage).

Thanks everyone for the replies!

To answer two common questons: we have been to HK before several times and have made brief visits to some residential areas: TKO, Kowloon Bay, Aberdeen and Sham Shui Po, but of course missed a lot and are not quite sure to feel that we understand everything.

Second, I've allocated a lot of tax exactly for the reasons of "double taxation" fallacy regarding the first year as shri correctly points out. Tax can be reduced then if I earn everything taxable by the time I have to pay taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Just a minor correction - Southern and Western HK Island are both on MTR now. All of Western is linked up and the South Island Line goes to Aberdeen/Ap Lei Chau. But Southern wouldn't meet your budget anyway.

Have you been to HK yet? If your partner will not be working and you don't have kids, some of the areas you mentioned are going to be somewhat isolating for them. I'm sure I will be jumped on but I have friends living in Yuen Long and Tung Chung and they are on the Island all the time for social and other reasons.

You can still find small flats (maybe less than 500 sq ft) with facilities for under $20k on HK Island if you look east like Taikoo, Quarry Bay.
    Thanks! I know about the Island line running to Kennedy Town and South Island line running to the South but the places within the budget usually lay distant from the both lines. If something good was available within the walking distance from the South Island line we of course would love to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS
    Your research looks good but how come such a high amount in tax certificate? You paying double taxes? If you work in Kowloon Station, I would recommend Olympic Station which is 1 mtr stop away and within your budget.
    Olympic seems to be expensive but I've looked into Nam Cheong station and there are places which are within budget (e.g. The Sparkle) and 10 minutes from the HK station on the MTR. The area is definitely getting shortlisted, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    People think that the first year is a "double tax" but it is really not the case. If you put aside the taxable amount every month, it aligns up perfectly by the time you get your first tax bill and the amounts are due...
    Thanks! I've just seen a lot of advice to just allocate 30% salary during the first year for the taxes and as the most advice it of course may be wrong.

Agree about the line changes, but I find the interchange between the West Rail line and Tung Chung line bearable since it is only walking across the platform.

Of course I've took a look through the classifieds, there are some interesting things there but no point in keeping them in mind since they may be long go by the time I land.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
    I really like Tsuen Wan...
    Thanks! We've looked into Tsuen Wan West station but could not find any reasonable properties within the budget unfortunately. Weirdly, properties near Nam Cheong are cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Oh and I catch a green minibus to work every morning. If you are lucky enough to live near the start/end of a minibus route they can be a fantastic way to commute.
    Yes, it is a great thing to have options, the reason we need the MTR is because it makes the whole city accessible, not only the route to work so it is important to us to have MTR.

Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003
    You will like Yuen Long if you like food everywhere, and close to Shenzhen. The airport is not far by direct buses...
    Thank you for input! It is really helpful to have opinion about the locations we are most interested in We don't really care about international schools (yet) and expat restaurants.

You like the idea of ferries, but are discounting Park Island because you need to catch a bus to the MTR? Am I missing something?...
    Yes, probably that we actually dislike the idea of ferries

Buses may be faster on occasion but they are not reliable in terms of time and suffer from traffic jams. I understand that taking a bus somewhere may be a good idea and I've taken some Hong Kong buses but I really like reliability and versatility of the MTR.

Quote Originally Posted by bargfeldstegen
    As others said, come here first. In general, as a newcomer, i suggest to stay on Hong Kong island first (maybe a year?) to socialize. Later, you can move to the "boring" areas. Cheers!
    Thanks! But we don't think it is a good idea, rent is expensive, no big and affordable supermarkets, more expensive eating out. 10-20 minutes on the MTR is not much and we really can handle it. We've lived in big cities >10m before and I am positive I would not have an idea to live in the city center of any of those. Better start fitting in early I think

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86
    Yoho is a nice place. Very new apartments, attached to a mall and the MTR. Interestingly, both Yoho and the similar new mall in Tuen Mun have really brought NT West into a new era...
    Thanks! The more I read the more I am getting positive we can find something along the West Rail Line and Tung Chung Line. What are the Japanese supermarkets? We've seen a lot of Japanese goods in places like Marketplace and it really helps us to ease the blues we have since our time living in Tokyo.

I know that you can find Yata in Tsuen Wan, Tuen Mun and very soon in Yuen Long Yoho Mall. Not sure if it counts as Japanese supermarket though.

Tung Chung is one area particularly impact by air pollution, one of the areas with high pollution reports, and there are now planning the next stage of building, therefore be aware and choose your apartment carefully

Govt wants to put 1 million ppl into tung chung is what I heard. damm thats a lot of people into a small area.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast