Like Tree16Likes

Work near the Hong Kong Station, 75k salary, where to live and how much to pay?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oktohk
    Olympic seems to be expensive but I've looked into Nam Cheong station and there are places which are within budget (e.g. The Sparkle) and 10 minutes from the HK station on the MTR. The area is definitely getting shortlisted, thanks!
    Hang on a sec - Did I miss something? You said your max upper budget was 20K right? There's a crapload of modern decently-sized apartments in Olympic under 20K.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf
    Hang on a sec - Did I miss something? You said your max upper budget was 20K right? There's a crapload of modern decently-sized apartments in Olympic under 20K.
    I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I am looking at 28Hse and putting <10 year old apartments in Olympic for under 20,000 and 500 sq ft GFA. What I am getting is 5 listings with prices of exactly 20k and SFA being below 500. Perhaps I am really missing something, maybe there are specific estates I should look into? Thanks!

Always wondered why not many expats like Tsing Yi, I may move there myself just to get away from all you expats.

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831
    Always wondered why not many expats like Tsing Yi, I may move there myself just to get away from all you expats.
    Eh how can I get away from expats in Tsing Yi if expats start moving there then
    periphery831 likes this.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I am looking at 28Hse and putting <10 year old apartments in Olympic for under 20,000 and 500 sq ft GFA. What I am getting is 5 listings with prices of exactly 20k and SFA being below 500. Perhaps I am really missing something, maybe there are specific estates I should look into? Thanks!
    A very brief look at SquareFoot shows at least 20 listings in the Olympic area which match your criteria. Having said that you should always take these online realty sites with a large grain of salt. I'm pretty sure if you walk into a few real estate agents in the area they will have plenty of flats to show you within your budget.

Some estates that you can consider:

Florient Rise
    Harbour Green
    Long Beach
    Central Park
    Park Avenue
    Island Harbourview

Some of these are newer, some are older. There are other estates as well. I think it's worth to spend a few hours to look around the area.

Your problem is that you're looking online. You need to come to the area you like and talk to an agent directly. The websites are incomplete and often have fake listings.
    shri, jmbf and chingleutsch like this.

Move to Yuen Long. Do it just for the confused looks when someone asks you where you live... I live there, too.

shri, jmbf, bdw and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Your problem is that you're looking online. You need to come to the area you like and talk to an agent directly. The websites are incomplete and often have fake listings.
    I understand and totally agree. Unfortunately I am in about 12 hours by plane from Olympic right now so it is hard for me to do that

Last time we were in HK we made a mistake of taking an agent around Sheung Wan and mid-levels instead of Kowloon and NT, so that opportunity was wasted unfortunately.

We went to Olympic once but were hit by a heavy rain and were not able to look around much that's why I have such limited knowledge of what's around.

What I am trying to do now is to lock on several areas and in the best case scenario specific estates so we can spend our time with agents as efficiently as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf
    Some estates that you can consider...
    Thanks for the list, we'll definitely take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by bargfeldstegen
    Move to Yuen Long. Do it just for the confused looks when someone asks you where you live... I live there, too.
    With my pronunciation of Chinese toponyms everyone would be confused even if I lived in Sheung Wan.

I also have a question regarding how do landlords and agents calculate deposits and fees. Many listings quote prices including government rent rates and management fees. Do these go in deposit calculations? E.g. if my rent is 20,000 HKD including management fees and government rates does that mean 40,000 HKD deposit and 10,000 HKD agent fee or do we reduce the rent by the amount of fees and calculate the deposit then - e.g. to the amount of 36,000 HKD?

Thanks!

Last edited by oktohk; 14-06-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Quick answer

Standard contract is 1 year fixed one year flexible. This means that after one year both parties can cancel the contract with one month notice or renegotiate the rent. Many landlords won't renegotiate rent if you are a good tenant but others will.

Rent includes rates and management fees. You are just responsible for paying gas, water and light. Landlords also should pay to get the agreement stamped. Your first payment is for 1 month rent + 2 months deposit + agent fee (if you use one). For a 20k flat that would be 20k+40k+10k =70k

oktohk likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast