Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree15Likes

Work near the Hong Kong Station, 75k salary, where to live and how much to pay?

Inclusive rents = inclusive deposits.

oktohk likes this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by oktohk
    Eh how can I get away from expats in Tsing Yi if expats start moving there then
    Shshssh, our little secret.

Consider Lai chi kok also, in the price range for the SFA you want and good transport links to Central.

Mat

use that site for up to date prices as they reflect real prices;

Centadata - Home Page

Nam Cheong is cheaper because the area is rather crappy.

Bob Loblaw likes this.

With respect to Time commute and property with facility , we would like to ; 1. park island by ferry 2. Tsuen Wan West Railway line ; 3, Tsing yi airport line .it is much more relistic .

Quote Originally Posted by esteban
    With respect to Time commute and property with facility , we would like to ; 1. park island by ferry 2. Tsuen Wan West Railway line ; 3, Tsing yi airport line .it is much more relistic .
    Thank you! This makes sense other than we'll have to exclude Park Island since the MTR is a hard requirement for us.

RDB

Hi there.

I am moving to Hong Kong with my wife soon and we need some help in sorting out what locations and budgets we should look at when we move. I've done some research so I am going to explain what I am looking at right now and would like some input and suggestions about areas I may be missing.

So, what I am working with right now:

• Salary: 75,000 HKD which leads to about 53,000HKD per month after tax certificates.
    • Location: Des Vouex Rd Central, between Hong Kong, Central and Sheung Wan MTR station.

Our asks are:

• We don't have driving licenses so we have to and would like to rely on public transit;
    • We love MTR and would not like anything reachable only by bus or ferry;
    • Properties with public areas in lobbies and clubhouses are preferred to old Chinese boxes and village houses.
    • 500 sq.ft. SFA is something we would like if it is in the realm of possible.
    • Commute <1 hr, would be better if 30-40 minutes.
    • Budget: 20,000 HKD is the hard upper limit, 18,000 HKD is okay, 15,000 HKD would be a reason to consider longer commute (50-60 minutes)
    • We would love easy access to the airport although it is not a hard requirement.

What we have been looking at and have shortlisted:

• Yuen Long MTR (Grand Yoho) - we see prices of about 15,000 HKD for good quality properties with a commute of 45 minutes. We like having a cinema and lots of life nearby and dislike being far away from basically everything like beaches and airport. MTR there is expensive which may be a concern.
    • Tsing Yi MTR (Tierra Vierde / Villa Esplanada) - I see that at 18,500 HKD you can get a good although old property there. What we really like is the Morning Express MTR service to Central which bring an incredibly quick commute, easy access to the airport, great waterfront. Personally I think Tsing Yi is the best option but I see it is not popular at all. Why? What is the catch?
    • Tseung Kwan O - I like properties there but I can't find anything with good balance of being close to the station proper and costs. I feel like there should be something in the 16-18k range but can't lock it down. Also it feels like that living here is like living in a middle of a construction site. Still, is there some estates to look into?
    • Tung Chung - we like it - it is cheap and good quality, close to the airport and the cinema, but a very long commute. If we can lock something below 15,000 we are going to consider it I think.

Popular expat areas we have looked into and disliked:
    • Southern or Western parts of the Island - too far away from the MTR or too expensive. Are we missing something here?
    • Ma On Shan - very long commute with changing trains;
    • Park Island or Sai Kung - no MTR;
    • LOHAS Park - very long commute due to infrequent MTR service.

First of all, I'd like your input on my assessment of the districts and costs and secondly I would be very happy to find what you think would be best at our budget and space needs.

Thanks!
    I pay $15k for a 2 bed apartment, 470 sqft (net) in Metro City 2 (a mall) in Po Lam (end of purple line, 4 mins along from Tseung Kwan O). The MTR takes 30 minutes to central switching at North Point (or Quarry Bay if you can't be bothered with the chaos of North Point in the morning). There is a club house with gym, sauna, tennis courts, basketball courts, massage chairs, library etc. In the mall there is a lack of nice Western Restaurants but there is plenty of fast food - McDonalds, KFC, Mos Burger, Starbucks, UCC, Some other Italian and plenty of Asian Restaurants to cater all tastes. There is also an MCL cinema downstairs which is very useful if you're a movie guy like me. There is a wellcome and park n shop downstairs which are very handy, both are huge. Also there is a wet market and a very nice local food market place which sell local gaidanzai, pan fried dumplings, toasties etc.

The apartments in Tseung Kwan O in The Wings are a touch more modern but a touch more expensive too. Being on the first stop of the MTR can be nice too when you just want a seat... oh and the MTR is also in the same building as the flat..

I couldn't recommend this place enough for families as it's great value. For me personally I may hand in my months notice in the next month or so as I'm a young guy living alone and the 50 minute door to door commute grates on me a little as it effectively takes 2 hours out my day so I'm considering trading in for a studio in Central and currently evaluating my options.

If you want I can put you in touch with the agent who got me this place, he is based in Po Lam and had loads of flats available. He showed me 3-4 older flats in Metro City before I snapped this one up as it was much nicer decorated. After reading my own post back I'm starting to wonder why I want to move into a box in Central :face palm: - It's basically just for restaurants and ease of getting to work to give myself back the bulk of that 2 hour commuting time. Further thinking required.
    Last edited by RDB; 20-06-2017 at 01:05 AM.
    shri likes this.

RDB

Thanks! The more I read the more I am getting positive we can find something along the West Rail Line and Tung Chung Line. What are the Japanese supermarkets? We've seen a lot of Japanese goods in places like Marketplace and it really helps us to ease the blues we have since our time living in Tokyo.
    Avoid the Japanese Supermarkets unless you want to get in the habit of buying a strawberry (yes, singular) for $200.

Quote Originally Posted by RDB
    Avoid the Japanese Supermarkets unless you want to get in the habit of buying a strawberry (yes, singular) for $200.
    You make a lot of sense but surely a man can splurge on a very good strawberry occasionally every now and then.
    shri likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234