Like Tree16Likes

Work near the Hong Kong Station, 75k salary, where to live and how much to pay?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Work near the Hong Kong Station, 75k salary, where to live and how much to pay?

Hi there.

I am moving to Hong Kong with my wife soon and we need some help in sorting out what locations and budgets we should look at when we move. I've done some research so I am going to explain what I am looking at right now and would like some input and suggestions about areas I may be missing.

So, what I am working with right now:

• Salary: 75,000 HKD which leads to about 53,000HKD per month after tax certificates.
    • Location: Des Vouex Rd Central, between Hong Kong, Central and Sheung Wan MTR station.

Our asks are:

• We don't have driving licenses so we have to and would like to rely on public transit;
    • We love MTR and would not like anything reachable only by bus or ferry;
    • Properties with public areas in lobbies and clubhouses are preferred to old Chinese boxes and village houses.
    • 500 sq.ft. SFA is something we would like if it is in the realm of possible.
    • Commute <1 hr, would be better if 30-40 minutes.
    • Budget: 20,000 HKD is the hard upper limit, 18,000 HKD is okay, 15,000 HKD would be a reason to consider longer commute (50-60 minutes)
    • We would love easy access to the airport although it is not a hard requirement.

What we have been looking at and have shortlisted:

• Yuen Long MTR (Grand Yoho) - we see prices of about 15,000 HKD for good quality properties with a commute of 45 minutes. We like having a cinema and lots of life nearby and dislike being far away from basically everything like beaches and airport. MTR there is expensive which may be a concern.
    • Tsing Yi MTR (Tierra Vierde / Villa Esplanada) - I see that at 18,500 HKD you can get a good although old property there. What we really like is the Morning Express MTR service to Central which bring an incredibly quick commute, easy access to the airport, great waterfront. Personally I think Tsing Yi is the best option but I see it is not popular at all. Why? What is the catch?
    • Tseung Kwan O - I like properties there but I can't find anything with good balance of being close to the station proper and costs. I feel like there should be something in the 16-18k range but can't lock it down. Also it feels like that living here is like living in a middle of a construction site. Still, is there some estates to look into?
    • Tung Chung - we like it - it is cheap and good quality, close to the airport and the cinema, but a very long commute. If we can lock something below 15,000 we are going to consider it I think.

Popular expat areas we have looked into and disliked:
    • Southern or Western parts of the Island - too far away from the MTR or too expensive. Are we missing something here?
    • Ma On Shan - very long commute with changing trains;
    • Park Island or Sai Kung - no MTR;
    • LOHAS Park - very long commute due to infrequent MTR service.

First of all, I'd like your input on my assessment of the districts and costs and secondly I would be very happy to find what you think would be best at our budget and space needs.

Thanks!

Just a minor correction - Southern and Western HK Island are both on MTR now. All of Western is linked up and the South Island Line goes to Aberdeen/Ap Lei Chau. But Southern wouldn't meet your budget anyway.

Have you been to HK yet? If your partner will not be working and you don't have kids, some of the areas you mentioned are going to be somewhat isolating for them. I'm sure I will be jumped on but I have friends living in Yuen Long and Tung Chung and they are on the Island all the time for social and other reasons.

You can still find small flats (maybe less than 500 sq ft) with facilities for under $20k on HK Island if you look east like Taikoo, Quarry Bay.

Your research looks good but how come such a high amount in tax certificate? You paying double taxes? If you work in Kowloon Station, I would recommend Olympic Station which is 1 mtr stop away and within your budget.

Agree with what WMDS says. If your company splits your cash compensation into a "salary" and "rental allowance" component your tax liability will be less.

Run your taxes through the IRD tax calculator.

People think that the first year is a "double tax" but it is really not the case. If you put aside the taxable amount every month, it aligns up perfectly by the time you get your first tax bill and the amounts are due.

I would personally avoid multiple MTR lines - gets tedious. If you really don't need to do it, stick to the stations that get you to HK Station without line changes.

If you don't need any facilities - gym, swimming pool etc, then you'll find some good options on HK side in the 15-18K range.

To get a base idea of what you can get take a look at the classifieds - while we don't have listings in every district and every building, you can get an idea of what the fair price is in many areas.

https://geoexpat.com/classifieds/apartments/for-rent

I really like Tsuen Wan. I don't know what the prices are like there, but I'd guess that *for HK* they're reasonable. If you can walk to Tsuen Wan West station the train in to Hong Kong station is pretty quick - just one change at Nam Cheong.
    Otherwise, yes, the area around Olympic MTR is very convenient for getting to HK station.

We have been living in Tsing Yi (Villa Esplanada) for nearly a year now. We like it for all the reasons you mention.

There is a cinema in the Maritime Square mall - it mostly shows Hollywood blockbusters and Cantonese films, but The Grand cinema (Elements Mall, Kowloon Station) is also easily accessible and has a bit more variety (e.g. European and Japanese).

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS
    Your research looks good but how come such a high amount in tax certificate? You paying double taxes? If you work in Kowloon Station, I would recommend Olympic Station which is 1 mtr stop away and within your budget.
    The OP said HK station rather than Kowloon station. But anyway I still agree with you. Have a look at the Olympic area, only 2 MTR stops away. Lots of buildings with clubhouse that would meet your requirements, even on the older side of Tai Kok Tsui many new buildings springing up all the time.

Oh and I catch a green minibus to work every morning. If you are lucky enough to live near the start/end of a minibus route they can be a fantastic way to commute. As fast as a car, always a seat, no pushing and shoving, dont need 10 minutes to reach a platform, depart as frequently as the MTR, something to look at out the window . The only downside is the variable traffic conditions. I wont say I "love" it, but I do think I prefer it over MTR for daily commute.

Quote Originally Posted by oktohk
    [*]Salary: 75,000 HKD which leads to about 53,000HKD per month after tax certificates.
    Can't really help you with finding a place to stay but this seems very high. 22k per month on tax certificates? I earn close to what you do and I have paid less than 22k in TOTAL every year I've been in HK. Granted, I likely have more deductibles but still pretty high, 15% of your salary would be the max you would have to pay.

You will like Yuen Long if you like food everywhere, and close to Shenzhen. The airport is not far by direct buses.
    Tsing Yi is full of modern apartments and village houses, no old property there. The normal Tung Cung line to HK station from Tsing Yi is quick too. To get to areas of Tsing Yi not near the MTR station you will need to take a bus or minibus from the Tsing Yi Station. Tsing Yi is not popular with expats just because it is mostly goverment and private apartments there, no international schools and expat restaurants and bars. Shopping and eating is not as much as other areas like Mong Kok and Tsuen Wan.

Tung Chung, not really a long commute by MTR but by buses. Only one big shopping mall and nothing more in that area.
    Southern or Western parts of the Island are not far away from the MTR but expensive.

Ma On Shan - very long commute with changing trains. Agree.

Park Island or Sai Kung - no MTR. Agree. And Sai Kung is far from Central.

LOHAS Park - very long commute due to infrequent MTR service. And also very few shopping downstairs.

Another vote for Olympic / Tai Kok Tsui. At least it should be on your radar. You'll get a slightly smaller flat for your money than the other areas but that could be compensated for by the closer proximity to work / town.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast