I am moving to Hong Kong with my wife soon and we need some help in sorting out what locations and budgets we should look at when we move. I've done some research so I am going to explain what I am looking at right now and would like some input and suggestions about areas I may be missing.
So, what I am working with right now:
- Salary: 75,000 HKD which leads to about 53,000HKD per month after tax certificates.
- Location: Des Vouex Rd Central, between Hong Kong, Central and Sheung Wan MTR station.
Our asks are:
- We don't have driving licenses so we have to and would like to rely on public transit;
- We love MTR and would not like anything reachable only by bus or ferry;
- Properties with public areas in lobbies and clubhouses are preferred to old Chinese boxes and village houses.
- 500 sq.ft. SFA is something we would like if it is in the realm of possible.
- Commute <1 hr, would be better if 30-40 minutes.
- Budget: 20,000 HKD is the hard upper limit, 18,000 HKD is okay, 15,000 HKD would be a reason to consider longer commute (50-60 minutes)
- We would love easy access to the airport although it is not a hard requirement.
What we have been looking at and have shortlisted:
- Yuen Long MTR (Grand Yoho) - we see prices of about 15,000 HKD for good quality properties with a commute of 45 minutes. We like having a cinema and lots of life nearby and dislike being far away from basically everything like beaches and airport. MTR there is expensive which may be a concern.
- Tsing Yi MTR (Tierra Vierde / Villa Esplanada) - I see that at 18,500 HKD you can get a good although old property there. What we really like is the Morning Express MTR service to Central which bring an incredibly quick commute, easy access to the airport, great waterfront. Personally I think Tsing Yi is the best option but I see it is not popular at all. Why? What is the catch?
- Tseung Kwan O - I like properties there but I can't find anything with good balance of being close to the station proper and costs. I feel like there should be something in the 16-18k range but can't lock it down. Also it feels like that living here is like living in a middle of a construction site. Still, is there some estates to look into?
- Tung Chung - we like it - it is cheap and good quality, close to the airport and the cinema, but a very long commute. If we can lock something below 15,000 we are going to consider it I think.
Popular expat areas we have looked into and disliked:
- Southern or Western parts of the Island - too far away from the MTR or too expensive. Are we missing something here?
- Ma On Shan - very long commute with changing trains;
- Park Island or Sai Kung - no MTR;
- LOHAS Park - very long commute due to infrequent MTR service.
First of all, I'd like your input on my assessment of the districts and costs and secondly I would be very happy to find what you think would be best at our budget and space needs.