Lease agreement change

Closed Thread

Lease agreement change

I've been living in my flat for over a year, my partner (only name on the lease) returned to the UK and a friend of mine moved into the flat (sub-let?).

Do I need to notify my landlord that the person who's name is on the lease agreement no longer lives in the flat? We still pay the rent on time and haven't had any problems. I am also the one who contacts him if any issues etc., not sure why I didnt put my name on the lease in the first place..

The state of the market now makes me think it wont be an issue as he has a good tenant in, however - as a courtesy I'm wondering if its necessary/obligation.

well since your partner was the only one on the lease and he's left, Owner can keep the deposits as you are technically not supposed to be there and they can kick you out anytime. if your on good terms, i would recommend that you change the name IMMEDIATELY to yours.

cmlg

Helles,

Do you know is there any stamping on the tenancy agreement? or the agreement is a standard one (without stamping)?

If the tenancy agreement was signed under Stamp Duty Ordiance, maybe you need an authorization from your partner. If the tenancy agreemet was a standard one, then your landlord may only ask you to sign another new tenancy agreement. OR simply ask you to return the keys if you move out....

Point 3 of this website state clearly what is stamping
    EAA Publications

This is some useful information regarding HK domestic tenancy agreement
    EAA Publications

Last edited by cmlg; 12-11-2008 at 11:13 AM.