Like Tree36Likes

Tai po town or Ting Kok Road??

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

And the minibuses are full so have to wait for the next one. If you have a car maybe. Without a car, maybe not.

Cornmeal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    And the minibuses are full so have to wait for the next one. If you have a car maybe. Without a car, maybe not.

Yes, good point. Have seen so many disappointed faces looking for empty seats already.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal

The location works for me but my wife may end up working downtown. Just curious if anyone who lives out there finds it worth the commute?
    FYI: agent said the one we like is $17k but prob get it for 16k, taipo town one is 15K
    if by "downtown" you mean HK Island, then I wouldn't do it. We live in Fotan and we woudln't do that if either of us was going to HK Island every day.
    That said, having a place you really like, and only paying 16K, is a good deal.

Why not live downtown, and go there for a weekend? Then you don't deal with the stress of commuting after a long day at work, but you can still visit at the weekends when it is more relaxed?

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy
    Why not live downtown, and go there for a weekend? Then you don't deal with the stress of commuting after a long day at work, but you can still visit at the weekends when it is more relaxed?
    Cause I work in Taipo and my wife will look for a job, location TBD....

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal
    I'm an outdoor enthusiast so that aspect of TKR is very attractive even though the guy said there aren't actually any direct hiking trails from there?
    There aren't many hikes that start directly on Ting Kok Road because youre sandwiched between the sea and a very steep hill (I think there is a bushwhacking trail up the side of the hill). However, youre only a short bus/taxi ride from the trailheads of many of HK's great hikes: Pat Sin Leng and Plover Cove country park are just around the corner. If you go hiking, this is not a bad place to live. Take a look at how many paths there are on google maps or opencyclemap.org - or better yet go buy a hiking map of the area for 33 HKD.

Having said that, I would not personally live there if I had to commute every day to HK island (and this is coming from someone living on Lantau who takes an hour to commute as it stands but ferry is more relaxed than bus/MTR).
    Terreneuve and Cornmeal like this.

Are you ok with standing and being crammed in the MTR for an extended period of time? I usually drive but for sake or convenience sometimes take MTR during rush hour. It really gets me worked up. Not peaceful and pleasant.

If you are working in TaiPo then find something along the east rail line. Fotan with racecourse view is beautiful. Those upper floors have terraces too. I looked at a one bed new renovation with terrace overlooking racecourse and mountain. Was relatively affordable back then. Don't know about now. But given headache. Pay 5k more per month to save the minibus headache/fare/time.

If you later find out it's not working for you and need to move. At minimum you will forfeit your two months deposit. By contract you should pay the remaining term of the lease. There aren't any protections to get out once you sign.

Cornmeal likes this.

Not fond of highrise living, when I want to go outside I just want to walk out the door. $5K more is no small change especially for something that's likely smaller than the 700sqft VHs. Wife is keen on the seaviews, which is why I'm trying to get some perspective from GE, so thanks for all the advice!

It's possible she could work in Taipo, saw a few postings, but the thing is she will leave soon to visit her family so we won't know until after we've moving in somewhere, and as you've pointed out it'll be too late and she'll have to grin and bear a long commute if she ends up working DT.

hin23leung likes this.

Be aware also that the promised beach which is in the plans to be manufactured soon will also come with a heap more construction around it, so I think you might find yourselves living in a building site quite soon.

Cornmeal likes this.

Mat

I don't see the issue with the place the OP Is looking for if it fits his lifestyle.

I work in Central. I have some colleagues who made the choice to get a 2100 sqf home in Sheung Shui (husband works in Central too). They just drive. It takes less than an hour if you avoid rush hour.

It's done all over the world and no one has any issue in other cities so why driving in HK is an issue?

OP you work 25mn from where you want to live. You don't know for your wife yet but assuming she has a driving license and you have to for the money you save by living in the "boonies", get a small car (cheap to park where you live I am sure) and if she gets a job in Central or wherever she can drive and get a monthly car park (2-4k depending where).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast