Like Tree36Likes

Tai po town or Ting Kok Road??

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Not fond of highrise living, when I want to go outside I just want to walk out the door. $5K more is no small change especially for something that's likely smaller than the 700sqft VHs. Wife is keen on the seaviews, which is why I'm trying to get some perspective from GE, so thanks for all the advice!

It's possible she could work in Taipo, saw a few postings, but the thing is she will leave soon to visit her family so we won't know until after we've moving in somewhere, and as you've pointed out it'll be too late and she'll have to grin and bear a long commute if she ends up working DT.
    Frankly speaking, I could imagine that by being available to jobs in the city (or at least Kowloon side) she might more than make up for the 5k in rental difference.

How about you at the other side of Tai Po - Tai Po Road, between Sha Tin and Tai Po? Commute for you is the same or less, but the whole of town is suddenly accessible without resorting to driving. There are some very posh estates there, but also a few villages near the university campus (which is one of the nicest places in HK). Granted, no beach, but plenty of beautiful views.
    Cornmeal likes this.

A car could be a solution but be careful to take the costs of running a car into account. Even putting aside the cost of a car, just monthly running costs can easily be in the 5 - 10K range.

MandM! likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    He did say "$2-4k depending on where" so probably not Central. The 2K end of that range is probably in those newer business districts like Tsuen Wan West, Kwun Tong, or in New Territories towns maybe?
    JAherbert likes this.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    How about you at the other side of Tai Po - Tai Po Road, between Sha Tin and Tai Po? Commute for you is the same or less, but the whole of town is suddenly accessible without resorting to driving. There are some very posh estates there, but also a few villages near the university campus (which is one of the nicest places in HK). Granted, no beach, but plenty of beautiful views.
    Yes, we're staying in that area now and it's alright, but not any renovated VHs as far as I know.

The agent we met with showed us 3 places that weren't finished, said it's nothing to worry about then tried to get us to sign a contract! No, thanks.

Not sure about car and RHD at this point.
    Last edited by Cornmeal; 08-08-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Yes, we're staying in that area now and it's alright, but not any renovated VHs as far as I know.

The agent we met with showed us 3 places that weren't finished, said it's nothing to worry about then tried to get us to sign a contract! No, thanks.

Not sure about car and RHD at this point.
    Call another agent. There's more options out there. The good stuff rents immediately. Your agent is simply selling you the unwanted flats that the landlord gives a one month red pocket to the agent.

You should be getting at least 15% discount and 2-3 weeks rent free period.

Not fond of highrise living, when I want to go outside I just want to walk out the door. $5K more is no small change especially for something that's likely smaller than the 700sqft VHs. Wife is keen on the seaviews, which is why I'm trying to get some perspective from GE, so thanks for all the advice!

It's possible she could work in Taipo, saw a few postings, but the thing is she will leave soon to visit her family so we won't know until after we've moving in somewhere, and as you've pointed out it'll be too late and she'll have to grin and bear a long commute if she ends up working DT.
    You'll learn to spend more on housing to be comfortable. Working days are long here. Comfort is a must. Plus in Hk usually have more disposable income and less bills (depends on you though).

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Call another agent. There's more options out there. The good stuff rents immediately. Your agent is simply selling you the unwanted flats that the landlord gives a one month red pocket to the agent.

You should be getting at least 15% discount and 2-3 weeks rent free period.

15%, really? That's getting a place asking 17K for 14.5K. Other agent we met with didn't try to contract us, he seems a genuinely nice fellow and his photos were fairly accurate. But h e said only about 6% less possible and 10 days move in period.

Of course, the agent wants the sure deal. You bid what you want provided you have a quick move in date.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    He did say "$2-4k depending on where" so probably not Central. The 2K end of that range is probably in those newer business districts like Tsuen Wan West, Kwun Tong, or in New Territories towns maybe?
    in Kowloon bay, open car park is 2.2k per month, 3.3-3.8 k for covered parking.

15%, really? That's getting a place asking 17K for 14.5K. Other agent we met with didn't try to contract us, he seems a genuinely nice fellow and his photos were fairly accurate. But h e said only about 6% less possible and 10 days move in period.
    village house, top floor 700 sqft and 700 sqft roof costs about 15K up in Sai Kung, I'd expect Tai Po to be cheaper. if you are worried sign for one year contract effectively that's 13 months, and use that time to explore.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast