Like Tree36Likes

Tai po town or Ting Kok Road??

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal
    I did not consider the fact that our water goes into a rooftop tank first then our home. Leaving it open to all sorts of bacteria and microbes, which I assume the coffee grounds and 90 degree water took care of but the Brita did not.
    You are renting a village house and it has a rooftop tank?? ours doesnt, our water comes piped in straight to our individual houses on each floor, each floor has a water meter to calculate who is using how much

Village houses does not have salt water for flushing toilets, its fresh water as well lol

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    You are renting a village house and it has a rooftop tank?? ours doesnt, our water comes piped in straight to our individual houses on each floor, each floor has a water meter to calculate who is using how much

Village houses does not have salt water for flushing toilets, its fresh water as well lol
    Yes it does. Any idea why? Maybe there's a way to bypass it? Must be a meter, I just changed over the bill. Will have to ask our kind downstairs neighbour.

It does mean we do not need to use boiler for showers as water is already heated! but also means that it's a ripe breeding ground for microbial growth.

Best thing to do is to have the rooftop tank flushed out/ sterilized. Your downstairs neighbour is likely to know a suitable *Sifu for the job. Or if you're a reasonably confident DIYer and have good access to the tank, you could probably do it yourself.

*Sifu/ seefoo - catch-all word for any technician or tradesman who has more knowledge of a particular skill than most people (in Hong Kong, this is not difficult - DIY is considered a dangerous and outlandish foreign custom).

Cornmeal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch
    Best thing to do is to have the rooftop tank flushed out/ sterilized. Your downstairs neighbour is likely to know a suitable *Sifu for the job. Or if you're a reasonably confident DIYer and have good access to the tank, you could probably do it yourself.

*Sifu/ seefoo - catch-all word for any technician or tradesman who has more knowledge of a particular skill than most people (in Hong Kong, this is not difficult - DIY is considered a dangerous and outlandish foreign custom).

Apparently the tank is only for the toilet and shower and my wife is fine (she has a weaker constitution than I) so it must have been something else...

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007

some remote village houses are built with a water tank on roof, typically small concrete box lined with tile and with dodgy lid, particularly in areas subject to frequent service interruption, usually just for the toilet. As @chuckster007 said, sea water mains used for flushing in urban areas is not normally available in the sticks, so fresh water is used.
    Cornmeal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal
    Apparently the tank is only for the toilet and shower and my wife is fine (she has a weaker constitution than I) so it must have been something else...
    You still want to have it cleaned out every so often ... if a bird or rat (or even a big centipede) falls in, drowns and starts decaying, your shower will leave you smelling a lot worse than you did before you "washed" yourself ... (the voice of experience from the Australian countryside).
    Cornmeal likes this.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7