Like Tree19Likes

Place to live in new territory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

His wife will be working in Hong Kong so she will have the Visa and any paperwork for Hong Kong.

He will be working in China and has the Visa and paperwork for China.

Obviously, most things in Hong Kong will be done under his wife's name just for simplicity as she will have HKID card, but for him, it will just be like taking a short holiday to HK every night and weekend. He won't actually be residing in HK (his wife and kids will be, and he will just be staying at their flat).

JackRicho likes this.

If his wife has an Employment Visa then he can get a Dependant Visa, so no problem there. That's just not how I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by bargfeldstegen:
    Can someone please explain how it is possible to travel from your sofa in let's say Ma On Shan to your office desk somewhere in Shenzhen within 30 min?!
    Ma On Shan to University station in 6 minutes

University Station to Lo Wu in 24 minutes

In Lo Wu you jump in an helicopter, you fly over the border and you parachute jump over your office.

OK, make it 45 min.

MTR > Train Trip Planner
    nuclear0 likes this.

Not many choices here. It all depends where in Shenzhen you work. If you work near Lowu or Futian, live in Sheung Shui. If you work around Nanshan, live in Tuen Mun center. Everything else is a slow and agonizing death by commute.

Even assuming all works out with a dependent's visa for HK and work/residence permits for mainland, this arrangement could cost a bomb in passports: mainland still stamps you in and out, and 2 return trips = 1 passport page.

JAherbert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Even assuming all works out with a dependent's visa for HK and work/residence permits for mainland, this arrangement could cost a bomb in passports: mainland still stamps you in and out, and 2 return trips = 1 passport page.
    That will be a new passport every 10 weeks! Hopefully OP is not from UK since he has to send his passport to UK for renewal.

Also there might be double taxation. Residing in HK OP is subject to HK income tax. Staying in China > 180 days per year subject to Mainland income tax. Your company might cover the tax though.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Not many choices here. It all depends where in Shenzhen you work. If you work near Lowu or Futian, live in Sheung Shui. If you work around Nanshan, live in Tuen Mun center. Everything else is a slow and agonizing death by commute.
    the holidays are different it might quiet on hong kong side, chaos on the China side or vice versa.

Could he apply to use the e-channel?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    That will be a new passport every 10 weeks!
    Depends on his passport I would say. I have about 70 pages (35 pages two sided) and typically they put 8 stamps on 1 page when I cross over. So four days on one page ;-) Assuming he gets a multiple entry / multi year visa.

But key is where he works in Shenzhen as others said as well. Shenzhen traffic is quite horrible. It takes me 30 minutes by taxi to get to Futian border from where I live in HK. However to go to our property in East Shenzhen easily adds another 1,5 hour including the sometimes long lines crossing into China. Even doing this once every few months is not joyfull, can't imagine doing that commute daily.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Could he apply to use the e-channel?
    If he has a work visa for China then he should be able to apply for echannel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast