Tips on where to Live in HK

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Yes Soho will be the closest resemblance to Paris 3rd but still not quite the same. And i dont think Gold coast or Sai Kung are what the OP is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    ..........(and not if it does not, contrary to the dickhead who just redblobbed me for recommending the gold coast thinks!)
    It wasn't me!!

Yep funny isn't it how people are happy to red blob others rather than discuss in the threads. Maybe KIA should consider allowing those who have been blobbed to blob back.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay
    Star Street is over-rated, over-priced and over-populated.
    Speak your mind man, don't fanny about with generalizations!

An American friend of mine who lived in Aberdeen Street Soho for 3 years, summed up Soho/Wanchai/Sheung Wan etc very nicely with his comment, that it looks like Harlem of the 1970's, minus the criminal component.

Anyway, no area in HK really captures the Bohemian essence, like Paris doe's, and I am talking about area's like, St Pierre ( Montmartre) St Germaine etc. It's largely due to the human condition of why those area's are as social as they are, with a broad cross section of people, unlike here, which tends to be the same types, which after a few years of living here, you get a bit bored of the constant revolving cycle...

In a nutshell, area's that have a more diverse and interesting crowd, to enjoy a beverage after hours with, would be as follows.

Shek O, HK Islands coolest society in my opinion, very left of centre and very relaxed.

Happy Valley, you'll find a fairly interesting mix there, and you'll easily get a largish apartment, in a very good neighbourhood. Very close to the action, without having to listen to its noise while you sleep.

Whampoa Gardens, located on Kowloon side right near Hung Hom, Laguna Verde ( a popular apartment complex ) etc, quiet a cool little area, close to Tsim Sha Tsui, but easy enough to get public transport, within 20 minutes to Central. For 30K a month you will get a great view of HK Harbour. Not on the Island, but worth consideration.

Braemar Hill is another very cool area to live, 30K a month will get you probably one of HK's best harbour view apartments. Quiet close to North Point, Causeway Bay and Wanchai etc.

I assume the op is a practical Bohemian type, and if so, I think they would enjoy the area's that I have mentioned, for something a little different.

Last edited by Skyhook; 14-11-2008 at 06:54 PM.

fm7
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Yes - Gold Coast Residences have serviced apartment and they are a 5 min walk from the quiet mall with the 10 or so restaurants... Sai Kung would probably be just as good a suggestion, I agree.

It will be interesting to find out what the OP actually thinks of HK when he/she arrives!
    Sure - it's two questions I guess. What's a cool/interesting/different place to live and why doesn't HK have a bohemian/creative quarter.

if you can afford 30K mid-level is a good option as less then 10 mins walk to SoHo + LKF ...

Is there anything close to the University? That's often where these areas are found in other cities....

I guess the reason for not having an area like this is that Chinese are not that "arty" - more focussed on making money than making art for the sake of art; and expats can only come here if they can get a visa, which means again they need a "real job" rather than something very creative. Obviously there are exceptions, but this might be why there are fewer arty/creative types here.

Speculating again, but I guess the reason why there are no "areas" is 1) the lack of creative types (above) but 2) the huge number of "other people" so even if you have a fair number of creative types then get diluted by the others so no such "areas" can exist.

? possible anyway!

Last edited by MovingIn07; 14-11-2008 at 09:02 PM.

where to live

What about the Star Street area? Wanchai is getting very cool. There's also Tin Hau, which has become the new place for cool restuarants and cafes, for locals (not everything may appeal to expat tastes as being good hangout joints.)

There's also Lei King Wan which is attracting an interesting crowd - again, the cool and relaxing factor is geared to local tastes, so it may not suit expat tastes of cool relaxing places to hang out at.

Quote Originally Posted by z754103
    What about the Star Street area? Wanchai is getting very cool. There's also Tin Hau, which has become the new place for cool restuarants and cafes, for locals (not everything may appeal to expat tastes as being good hangout joints.)

There's also Lei King Wan which is attracting an interesting crowd - again, the cool and relaxing factor is geared to local tastes, so it may not suit expat tastes of cool relaxing places to hang out at.
    I go to school in Lei King Wan. There's a set of towers called Grand Promenade, it has a full clubhouse with a pool, jacuzzi, sofa area, vending machines, table tennis & snooker room...on the otherside, the apartment is quite small but I guess it's OK if you're living alone. Great view if you live on the higher floors...but if you're scared of heights it's not so much of a good thing...I know cuz one of my friends live there. Tin Hau is sort of quiet, but I wouldn't say it has anything to appeal to westerns, sorry. But there is a public library nearby with a delifrance cafe, and it's quite a short distance of walking into Causeway Bay

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast