Tips on where to Live in HK

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    fm7

Just to state the obvious - not all expats are westerners and not all westerners or expats have the same tastes...

FM7, is dead right..!

That's why its most important to find out where people are from, when gauging advice, to see how it relates to you. Someone who is a New Yorker, won't have anything in common with someone who is from Byron Bay etc... So the advice given by both people will be vastly different, based on their pre Hong Kong relocation.

Always check the nationality, and where posters have lived previously, or their opinion will mean 9 tenths of nothing to you.

Last edited by Skyhook; 16-11-2008 at 01:36 PM.

It will be interesting to find out what the OP actually thinks of HK when he/she arrives![/QUOTE]

Be sure the OP will actually let you know..!

another question....

someone from work suggested a residence in Shanghai Street, Yau Ma Tei, Kowloon... would that be completely crazy?

Close to Broadway Cinematique and close to a red light area.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook

FM7, is dead right..!

That's why its most important to find out where people are from, when gauging advice, to see how it relates to you.
    The OP was pretty specific about the kind of thing he's looking for in HK, and gives us some useful clues:

I'm not looking for a Little Amsterdam in the heart of HK, but i've lived in paris (3rd) and NYC (chelsea) .

Some of the suggestions so far have been amusing. I liked the one about being near a DeliFrance. That put a smile on my face.

lol Soho (and around it) is definitely where this guy wants to be.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmonk
    someone from work suggested a residence in Shanghai Street, Yau Ma Tei, Kowloon... would that be completely crazy?
    Yes, that would be completely crazy. I assume your work friend was joking, as Shanghai Street is noisy, crowded and not terribly convenient for a work commute. You could call it cute in a downmarket, semi-industrial way.

Agreed with Jay. Start with Soho. Maybe Sheung Wan (convenient, cute, but missing good food options)
    Last edited by jgl; 17-11-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Soho would fit the NYC lifestyle, on a social POV, but quiet different to Paris..

The OP will have to just adjust to the HK city lifestyle, because elementally speaking, HK shares very little in common with the Parisian experience. Especially dietary, live entertainment, access to art, galleries, eclectically comprehensive museums, el fresco cafe's ( due to hot humid climate ), bakeries ( bread is soft and sweet here ), the ability to afford, house, and use a car, being able to drive across EU borders without having to stop ( Swiss border etc ), being able to go to peaceful picnic locations on the weekends, visiting vineyards, or beautiful coastal area's 6 hours drive away North ( Normandy, Hon Fleur, Le Havre ) or 8 hours drive to the Southern coast, Nice etc.

So if the OP just stays in the city in HK, then Soho might fit the city slicker aspect. But knowing the French as I do, ( having family that live there ) most people there, like to get out and about on the weekends and make the most of their leisure time.

Food will certainly be the biggest adjustment lol, if one has been used to shopping in La Fayette, or in the outer suburban Carrefour's.

The main thing to apply, when relocating to a culturally different country/city, to what one was used to before, is to adopt a when in Rome, do as Romans do, theory.

Personally, Sai Kung would offer a lot regarding the relaxed social perspective ( expats there seem to be a lot more down to earth and casual ), Shek O also shares some similarities, but both miss out on the city living aspects ( as they are more suburban in the western sense, rural in the local sense ), that a single guy would find advantageous... ie access to the fairer sex.

Last edited by Skyhook; 17-11-2008 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    ...........that a single guy would find advantageous... ie access to the fairer sex.
    I dunno, Elements at 1am has a 'choice'!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast