Tips on where to Live in HK

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Yes, that would be completely crazy. I assume your work friend was joking, as Shanghai Street is noisy, crowded and not terribly convenient for a work commute. You could call it cute in a downmarket, semi-industrial way.

Agreed with Jay. Start with Soho. Maybe Sheung Wan (convenient, cute, but missing good food options)
    I agree with Jay as well. Many of the other suggestions seem like posters are just trying sell their own hood. Those places might be nice in their own way, but from what the OP said he/she was looking for, Soho is the only place that will even vaguely resemble that. Vaguely.

The Shanghai street suggestion must be a stitch up. Isn't that the street where they have all those shops selling electronic components, sheetmetal, toilets etc?

Shanghai street is the Kowloon equivalent of Lockhart Road Causeway Bay/Wanchai...IE, mostly apartment renovation material suppliers, interior design studio's, etc etc.

Last edited by Skyhook; 17-11-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Heng Fa Chuen has a kitchen design shop, a shop with paintings in it, oh and a delifrance. I'm sure there is a gay person here too. Match the requirements? . Best of luck with your hunt, I think your best bet is to come here and look around, you won't find what you are looking for from your original description but may find something else instead that suits you in a different way.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Skyhook's post (#39) made me smile. How often have I heard complaints from new arrivals about how foreign Hong Kong is, how it's not like "back home" and how terrible it is that their favourite shops aren't here (or are they gunning for a hardship allowance? ). At least the OP seems to have a more open mind and is possibly more likely to enjoy his time in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    Skyhook's post (#39) made me smile.

Did make me wanna up and move to France though. Sounded awesome. I must be coming down with something...

Hollywood Road and environs

I'm a fan of that area between Soho and Sheung Wan where you have the art galleries, open air restaurants at night, some gay clubs... (which fits the bill, right?).

It's a relatively quiet neighborhood, and charming on weekends.

Shama Apartments might have something in your budget, or Soho 69.
    There are a few others. Look at the Lyndhurst Terrace area as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gazmario
    Did make me wanna up and move to France though. Sounded awesome. I must be coming down with something...
    That's because he didn't mention the downside: it's full of Frenchies!

How about Kennedy Town around Ching Lin Terrace and surrounds. Not sure how often places are available there. Bit out of the way but still aboiut as Parisian as HK gets (including the copious amounts of dog turd on the pavement )

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM

I prefer the phrase "cheese-eating surrender monkeys"

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM

That's exactly right! And of course a 35 hour working week might sound great if you are a worker but it's not when your favourite shop/cafe/business is closed because of it!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast