Tips on where to Live in HK

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Tips on where to Live in HK

Goodday,
    i'll be moving to HK in February for at least 12 months. i'll be working in Causeway Bay. i'm in my early 30's, single and quite used to living in a arty/design/gay-ish neighborhood with cafes and restaurants. i want to be in a nice neighborhood but i want to go to work easily. i'm looking for a serviced appartment....
    would anyone have any suggestion please? please enlighten me
    thanks

What's your budget?

But regardless, I don't think we have any of these in Hong Kong do we?

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmonk
    arty/design/gay-ish neighborhood

Sure does not sound familiar to me but I was hoping somebody would know of a corner that I had not found for the OP!

look at soho, lots of restaurants/cafes...maybe even some gays

sorry, i am afraid i didnt make my point clearly (English isnt my language)... I'm not looking for a Little Amsterdam in the heart of HK, but i've lived in paris (3rd) and NYC (chelsea) and i enjoyed those neighborhood where you can grab a drink/diner after work, with shops etc. i'm definitely not expecting to live in the Gay district ...
    as for the budget i was thinking aroung HK$ 30 000 monthly.

this forum looks very active...thanks!

Many districts in HK have cafes/restaurants although if you are looking for western cuisine then Soho type area is probably one of the best as the other poster noted. However, pretty much nowhere has the type of laid back cafe/arty society that you get in Europe. Much of HK is full of high rise blocks with thousands of people rushing all over the place - I hate those areas! There are other areas which are abit less busy but which also have some cafes - the more expat type areas like Discovery Bay and Gold Coast are slightly more 'western' in feel but it's all relative. Sham Tseng also has a nice street with open-air cafes - that has quite a good feel. Stanley too, but that is quite touristy. But each of those I mentioned is a fair way out of town (at least 30 mins or so) so if you want to be close to work or in the thick of things then, yes, Soho is probably better. The best thing to do is come and check out the neighbourhoods and see what feels right.

thank you for the suggestions. i'll come and visit before actually moving but it's not exactly next door to Paris so i prospect before...
    thanks again

Gold coast is really nice. It's sort of like Pok fu lam.
    Rent is cheap due to long commute to HK island.
    Car-friendly. Near to the beach even though it sucks so bad.
    I live at Tuen Mun Pier, but I doubt expats will like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Many districts in HK have cafes/restaurants although if you are looking for western cuisine then Soho type area is probably one of the best as the other poster noted. However, pretty much nowhere has the type of laid back cafe/arty society that you get in Europe. Much of HK is full of high rise blocks with thousands of people rushing all over the place - I hate those areas! There are other areas which are abit less busy but which also have some cafes - the more expat type areas like Discovery Bay and Gold Coast are slightly more 'western' in feel but it's all relative. Sham Tseng also has a nice street with open-air cafes - that has quite a good feel. Stanley too, but that is quite touristy. But each of those I mentioned is a fair way out of town (at least 30 mins or so) so if you want to be close to work or in the thick of things then, yes, Soho is probably better. The best thing to do is come and check out the neighbourhoods and see what feels right.

bbb

The Star Street area in Wan Chai may be what you are looking for. Close to your work, good places to eat, bars, night clubs etc. Doesn't compare to Paris and Amsterdam (alas!).

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast