Like Tree14Likes

Advice on where to live with two young kids

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by bargfeldstegen:
    If you're adventurous and don't care about the looks from your future fellow expat friends, you could also consider the dark side (Kowloon), i.e. Kowloon Station, Tsim Sha Tsui, or Olympic.
    I think aiming for $30k in Kowloon Station might be a challenge, it's an expensive spot. If she goes up to $40k then possible.

TST is a horrible place to live with toddlers and infants.
    mr22, kkaian and gigglinggal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kkaian:
    Are midlevels kid friendly at all or not really?
    I'm sure there are some developments there with good children's facilities, but you would need to double or triple your budget. And once you get out the front door you need to cope with narrow or non-existent footpaths, often steep slopes and traffic jams if you're in a vehicle, fumes if you're not.
    Skyhook, mr22 and kkaian like this.

There are some lovely family friendly properties at the Kennedy Road end of Mid-Levels, but the starting price is nearer $60k and more if you want a good sized apartment in decent condition.

Grand Promenade at Taikoo is family friendly and closer to your budget. It's very convenient for Quarry Bay promenade which is great for kids to use their scooters and bikes. Happy Valley is full of expat families and should suitable places in your price range. I have quite a few friends who live there and they love it.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    TST is a horrible place to live with toddlers and infants.
    I'm not so sure. You have a lot of facilities there - Kowloon Park (including the swimming pools, the big sports area), the play area above TST East station, YMCA. Lots of kindergartens, more family friendly restaurants than you can shake a stick at... great transport options to all of Hong Kong - MTR, bus, Star Ferry, minibuses galore. Sure TST is busy and not everyone's cup of tea but i wouldn't arbitrarily rule it out. I spent most of my weekends in and around TST with small children.
    kkaian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I'm not so sure. You have a lot of facilities there - Kowloon Park (including the swimming pools, the big sports area), the play area above TST East station, YMCA. Lots of kindergartens, more family friendly restaurants than you can shake a stick at... great transport options to all of Hong Kong - MTR, bus, Star Ferry, minibuses galore. Sure TST is busy and not everyone's cup of tea but i wouldn't arbitrarily rule it out. I spent most of my weekends in and around TST with small children.
    Thanks for that info! We won't rule it out til we check it out for ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Scousebanana:
    There are some lovely family friendly properties at the Kennedy Road end of Mid-Levels, but the starting price is nearer $60k and more if you want a good sized apartment in decent condition.

Grand Promenade at Taikoo is family friendly and closer to your budget. It's very convenient for Quarry Bay promenade which is great for kids to use their scooters and bikes. Happy Valley is full of expat families and should suitable places in your price range. I have quite a few friends who live there and they love it.
    Yeah Taikoo is on our list after talking to a few different people. I'm also really interested in happy valley but husband is a bit worried that it's a little isolated/hard to get to because the mtr doesn't run there. Do you think that's true or is it pretty easy to get around from there?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    IMHO too crowded and dirty for small kids. But yes if one prefers a highly urbanized area then it would be OK.

Yeah Taikoo is on our list after talking to a few different people. I'm also really interested in happy valley but husband is a bit worried that it's a little isolated/hard to get to because the mtr doesn't run there. Do you think that's true or is it pretty easy to get around from there?
    Most people take the trams which pretty much run continuously to get down to the MTR.
    kkaian likes this.

And don't forget that taxis are very cheap and convenient here.

kkaian likes this.

I started out at a serviced apartment in HV when I first moved over. Used to get the number 1 bus to work - goes every 10 mins and used to take me about 25 mins to get to Sheung Wan/Central

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3