Like Tree14Likes

Advice on where to live with two young kids

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advice on where to live with two young kids

Hi! Moving from NYC to Hong Kong in a few months and starting to look at options for where to live.

Looking for a two bed. Budget is max 40,000 though we'd like to stay closer to 30,000 if possible.

Husband will be working in Central (AIA building) and we'd like his commute to not be too painful. Around 30 minutes would be okay.

Would like to live near other young moms if possible, anywhere they tend to congregate?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sounds like you should check Discovery Bay (DB) area in Lantau Island. Also known as the Dogs and Babies land

DB will be great for you n the kids, lots of expats with kids there and friendly environment. Husband can take the ferry to central, its quite fast and BUT its a 20 min walk to AIA building lol. he will have to suffer for you guys LOL

How old are the kids? DB is great for young kids before primary school as has a fair number of playgroup/preschool options, but it gets a little harder to find a local school space for primary and might mean kids commuting by ferry to school.

Maybe look at Taikoo Shing/Quarry Bay area, I know a few parents with young kids who left Mid-Levels for that area and are paying within your budget.

Where do / will the kids go to school?

Pok Fu lam ( short list )

Happy Valley ( short list )

Tai Hang road near the Hong Kong Cricket Club ( short list )

Possibly even Shek O might be an interesting beach side village alternative, if you can find a place in your price range.

Kennedy Town

Quote Originally Posted by 852resident:
    Sounds like you should check Discovery Bay (DB) area in Lantau Island. Also known as the Dogs and Babies land
    I think this depends on the OP's view on individualism or if she is prone to peer group pressure... If you think HK Island is cliquey among the yummy mummy set, Stepford County, I mean Discovery Bay, is a whole new ball game...lol

Depends which clique you like I suppose, or maybe the OP isnt into being made to drink that koolade lol

cool if she isnt, coz it is very rare to find folks like that in this synthetic town of shallow skin thick relationships, habitual networkers and associations ( I wont insult the word ' friendship ' )

If your children are in kindergarten or elementary school already, or will be next school year, first priority is to sort out school places ... you might get a nice place within 30 minutes of your work, but if the only school places available are in Tai Po or Sai Kung districts, do you want the children to have a 90 minute each way commute?

FYI if your children have been in the US school system already you will have priority at HKIS and Stamford American School - they both give consideration to transferring students who have already been in the American curriculum.

I would look up those school and then base where to live around that - assuming your children are 4 years or older.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast