Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Typical rent rise in HK?

Like I said .. the pro-grade landlords usually do not mess around with astronomical increases. Like to have steady returns.

JAherbert likes this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    Where do you live? Sounds great.
    Let me guess: Sea Ranch!
    MandM! and Scousebanana like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Like I said .. the pro-grade landlords usually do not mess around with astronomical increases. Like to have steady returns.
    second that, pro-landlords don't run around every real estate agent seeking the highest figure they can charge.

on the topic of agents, this business of charging a fee based on a percentage of the rent/purchase price is stupid. agents don't add that much value to justify the fee.

A rubbish tenant - increase rent by 25% each year.
    A good tenant - zero % increase.

Rubbish tenant - my light bulb in the bathroom is broken - can you replace it?
    Good tenants - pays rent by regular bank transfer; never hear from them throughout the tenancy.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake
    A rubbish tenant - increase rent by 25% each year.
    A good tenant - zero % increase.

Rubbish tenant - my light bulb in the bathroom is broken - can you replace it?
    Good tenants - pays rent by regular bank transfer; never hear from them throughout the tenancy.
    I really don't think it is anywhere near as simple as that. Good tenants may get slightly more favourable terms, but vast majority of landlords won't turn down a 25% increase in market rates.

Quote Originally Posted by bargfeldstegen
    Let me guess: Sea Ranch!
    We do know someone who has a second home there, but we live just off Kennedy Road in Wanchai/Midlevels.

rent rise could be 15-25% rise

usually rise much more in studio/ small unit. I am looking for small apartment lately, the rent rise quite obviously, like rise from 4-5K to 6-7K for a 140 sq. feet studio, pls the power/ water has surcharge, charged by the landlord.

for the mid size unit, around 10-25% rise as well~
    Bigger the unit, less the rise % of rent
    so i think the better option would be find a flatmate to share a bigger apartment.

We are coming to the end of the 2nd year tenancy and the landlord is demanding a 20% increase. Is there a cap on % increase governed by the HK gov't or RVD? Any one knows about this pls?

Quote Originally Posted by helper
    We are coming to the end of the 2nd year tenancy and the landlord is demanding a 20% increase. Is there a cap on % increase governed by the HK gov't or RVD? Any one knows about this pls?
    Nope, you are at the mercy of the landlord and what they 'think' they can get.

You haven't been able to arbitrate rent rise disputes officially since the 1997 handover and Tung Chee hwah ( the then CE) dismantling that mechanism.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 14-09-2018 at 05:57 AM.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by helper
    Is there a cap on % increase governed by the HK gov't or RVD?

(What a lovely idea! Haha... lovely ideas are not suitable for Hong Kong's rich!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast