Like Tree10Likes

Grand Promenade

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,267

    out of 5 flats I only had one quiet one. It was either the neighbour being super loud or in the street outside. I found that the more recent the flat the shittier the noise you hear. They use cardboard as well. I lived in an old walk up and couldn't hear the neighbours at all.

    That's why it's better to visit the flat several times, at different times of the day. Earplugs don't work if the entire flat is vibrating when they slam the door every 5 minutes haha

    drumbrake and JAherbert like this.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    out of 5 flats I only had one quiet one. It was either the neighbour being super loud or in the street outside. I found that the more recent the flat the shittier the noise you hear. They use cardboard as well. I lived in an old walk up and couldn't hear the neighbours at all.

    That's why it's better to visit the flat several times, at different times of the day. Earplugs don't work if the entire flat is vibrating when they slam the door every 5 minutes haha
    That is very true, ear plugs are making my hearing even more sensitive now. I even got one of those aluminium premium ear plugs but I can still hear the slamming noise. I would settle for a walk up building but my wife is pregnant.

    So the only solution is to move and hopefully find a top floor apartment? At least we will hear no sound from the people above.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastenders:
    That is very true, ear plugs are making my hearing even more sensitive now. I even got one of those aluminium premium ear plugs but I can still hear the slamming noise. I would settle for a walk up building but my wife is pregnant.

    So the only solution is to move and hopefully find a top floor apartment? At least we will hear no sound from the people above.
    It depends really. The bigger the flat the more likely they will have kids. Worst is when they have a Piano! It really depends on the building, some are well isolated, others not. It's hard to tell if the neighbours are noisy when you just spend a few minutes. There should be a system which you plug in a flat you're interested in renting, which would measure the noise throughout the day. Cause you can't really tell otherwise. In my experience the richer the area the better neighbour you get.

    The worst flat for me was a mixed of local families crumbed into small flat. The level of noise was ridiculous. Also anywhere near the tram, I don't know why but I can hear the tram sound from quite far.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastenders:
    That is very true, ear plugs are making my hearing even more sensitive now. I even got one of those aluminium premium ear plugs but I can still hear the slamming noise. I would settle for a walk up building but my wife is pregnant.

    So the only solution is to move and hopefully find a top floor apartment? At least we will hear no sound from the people above.
    How do ear plugs make your hearing more sensitive?

    I sometimes wear earplugs, and have tried a fairly wide variety including professionally fitted musicians plugs. Aluminium strikes me as a dubious or simply 'Kickstarter faddish' material to use though- metal doesn't reduce vibration (i.e. sound). Just foam or silicone putty should be more effective, if simply muffling the most noise is the objective. Noise canceling headphones have been mentioned in other threads, but personally I find them a pain in the arse and they have their own weird sound.

    Of course, there is a limit to how much earplugs can do. If you're desperate, you could try wearing ear protector muffs over earplugs, but if you're doing that then you should probably just be leaving HK.

    Top floor apartment, village house without a dog problem (no guarantees there), or otherwise it's just luck of the draw. My building is fairly quiet, except for the occasionally renovation noises from other flats in the building, which also seem a HK staple.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    How do ear plugs make your hearing more sensitive?

    I sometimes wear earplugs, and have tried a fairly wide variety including professionally fitted musicians plugs. Aluminium strikes me as a dubious or simply 'Kickstarter faddish' material to use though- metal doesn't reduce vibration (i.e. sound). Just foam or silicone putty should be more effective, if simply muffling the most noise is the objective. Noise canceling headphones have been mentioned in other threads, but personally I find them a pain in the arse and they have their own weird sound.

    Of course, there is a limit to how much earplugs can do. If you're desperate, you could try wearing ear protector muffs over earplugs, but if you're doing that then you should probably just be leaving HK.

    Top floor apartment, village house without a dog problem (no guarantees there), or otherwise it's just luck of the draw. My building is fairly quiet, except for the occasionally renovation noises from other flats in the building, which also seem a HK staple.
    Before Grand Promenade I rented a place in Sai Ying Pun, that was also hell. A granny upstairs kept slamming things on the floor, I complained to security and then found out that she had loads of used tin biscuit boxes - she is a rubbish hoarder! No point complaining again as security were powerless. I moved to Grand Promenade looking for a bit of peace but turned out another year of hell. I don't have much luck in terms of renting peaceful apartments. I understand noise now and then is ok but for me its constant 24/7.

    I'd gladly move to Sai Kung and live in a village house top floor but there are other risks like dogs barking and burglars.

    I don't know but prolonged use of ear plugs makes me more sensitive to sound. I find that "white noise" devices works well but it annoys the wife.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastenders:
    Before Grand Promenade I rented a place in Sai Ying Pun, that was also hell. A granny upstairs kept slamming things on the floor, I complained to security and then found out that she had loads of used tin biscuit boxes - she is a rubbish hoarder! No point complaining again as security were powerless. I moved to Grand Promenade looking for a bit of peace but turned out another year of hell. I don't have much luck in terms of renting peaceful apartments. I understand noise now and then is ok but for me its constant 24/7.

    I'd gladly move to Sai Kung and live in a village house top floor but there are other risks like dogs barking and burglars.

    I don't know but prolonged use of ear plugs makes me more sensitive to sound. I find that "white noise" devices works well but it annoys the wife.
    There's also pink and (don't laugh) brown noise variants which might be less annoying. Biased towards lower frequencies so less hissy.


    I'd gladly move to Sai Kung and live in a village house top floor but there are other risks like dogs barking and burglars.
    Well, buying a house and installing double glazing should work well. But maybe not practical.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2

    Hi,
    Which tower do you live in in Grand Promenade ?
    I've lived there for 2 years in tower 6 and never heard any noise ( just a tiny bit the shower from the flat upstairs sometimes).
    Chantal


  8. #18

    Top floor apartment has another problem - water leakage, esp old apartment.

    need request yr landlord or DIY to do some waterproof work on the rooftop


  9. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    TKO
    Posts
    57

    I'm currently renting a 1-bedroom apartment in Tower 5.
    Have lived here for more than a year.
    I agree...I can hear sounds from upstairs as well. I'm guessing the walls are thinly built at Grand Promenade.
    Can't believe the place I'm currently renting cost around $7 million at the current market price. I wonder who would buy this shit hole.

    And every morning at around 9am, there are loud sounds coming from the trash dump since they clean the trash every floor.
    So you would hear crashing echo sounds every morning.....even at nighttime at around 8pm.
    Tower 5 faces inward close to the other towers....maybe that's why the sound is worse.
    If if faces towards the ocean than I assume you would hear less noise.

    That's why I'm planning to move to some of the new apartments at TKO.

    Last edited by greentealatte; 22-12-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    Ostro likes this.