Like Tree71Likes

Moving to HK with 2 young kids - areas suggesting needed

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

OP - my advice:
    - Before moving (even your husband) - ask for his company to secure a service apartment for a month, which would give him the time to look for places
    - Work out where he will work exactly. The New Territories are "vast" and HK is easy to travel North to South (and reverse) but less so East to West (and reverse).
    - Based on which location he will be working, you can start looking for properties
    - Where will you send your kids to school? Please take that into consideration too. Options are many but just narrow down locations and all
    - If you never lived in HK (asia) before, please do not dismiss building. It's nothing like in the West. We have a 3 y old and we love in a "small" condo (only 3 towers and sthg like 20 floors only). It's got a great clubhouse, a pool, some kids playground, a BBQ area etc etc...so yes it is shared but it has got a good community feel and the kids play everyday after school on the podium etc etc....and you are not bothered by any house maintenance (the issue w village house) - so do not discount that.
    - transport. MTR is good but buses in HK (I know not in the UK) work just as well...and even taxi (depending on how far you have to travel) can be used daily (since cheap).
    - your housing allowance. Go as High as you can so don't agree on 30 if you can get 35.

jmbf and chingleutsch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    East or West (ie on top of Kowloon Station or near Kwun Tong) - important as these are two totally different areas and while East would work well with Clearwater Bay etc it would be a "disaster" with Kowloon Station, while Gold Coast etc would on the other hand be good if Kowloon Station but a "disaster" if Kwun Tong area.
    He will be working next to Whampoa station, I guess it’s more east side than west. hense we are looking into clear water bay and more into east side of NT as it looks closer

So your husband works in Hung Hom. With this budget, I would live in Hung Hom, somewhere close to the water. Quiet yet convenient and your husband can walk to work. No-brainer, really.

civil_servant and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Olga_McCann:
    He will be working next to Whampoa station, I guess it’s more east side than west. hense we are looking into clear water bay and more into east side of NT as it looks closer
    If Whampoa/Hung Hom then don't look at the Gold Coast etc - a mess to get there.

To be fair I suspect Clearwater Bay wont be much fun either, unless you drive.

If you want easy travelling then look north, on the light blue line and settle for ShaTin (MidLevels area), Fo Tan etc. easy to commute and plenty of condominium and in some cases low rises.

Kowloon Tong could be an option too but you will be looking at older properties but lots of great schools/kindie and plenty of greenery and parks there.

As I said, HK is easy North to south and vice versa - not so good east - west transport wise.

Please consider LAGUNA VERDE in Hunghom - great facilities and by the harbor.
    Mrs. Jones and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Olga_McCann:

if it's by Whampoa station, it's *fairly* close to Hung Hom Station. That means either of the train lines that go into the NT (East Rail Line and West Rail Line) are options, and really opens things up. I still think Kam Sheung Rd is a good option. For what you're talking about it, probably better off than along the East Rail Line (which is where we live).
    That said, the area around Whampoa, and its coast line, is kinda hopping. It's not 'green' but it is quite nice. Definitely go for a walk around that promenade, or whatever it's called. Having the sea on one side, even though there's no beach, can feel a lot less trapped in than if you're right in the heart of Kowloon.

if your husband is going to work in Whampoa area, the traffic around there is horrendous, commute from Clear water bay is going to be horrible. You need to get on a Green Mini bus to the nearest MTR station, to get on a green mini during peak times can be a long wait.

Mats recommendation LAGUNA VERDE in Hunghom, is great, my younger brother used to live there with his two daughters, they loved it. it is surrounded by two parks and ur right by the water as well. Getting to beaches on weekends is very easy as HK is very small.

Kowloon Goon and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    if your husband is going to work in Whampoa area, the traffic around there is horrendous, commute from Clear water bay is going to be horrible....
    Ho Man Tin. Ho Lee Feck the traffic is bad there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    OP - my advice:
    - Before moving (even your husband) - ask for his company to secure a service apartment for a month, which would give him the time to look for places.
    as @Mat said, try Harbourview Horizon Suites or Harbourfront Horizon Suites, for serviced apartments, both in Hung Hom, my friend lived in the harbourfront for thre years. also, it could be close to your husband workplace.

Harbourview Horizon Suites (Hunghom)

OK, so for Whampoa you can forget my earlier suggestions of Gold Coast and Ma Wan. You can also forget Clearwater Bay and Sai Kung unless your husband actively enjoys and seeks out massive traffic jams. Am not sure of the connections between Hung Hom station and Whampoa, but there have to be better ways than changing at Kowloon Tong from Eastrail or making some crazy multiple change loop from Westrail. If your husband can find the magic connection, then the Kam Sheung Road area would make sense, as would some places on the Eastrail line.

Laguna Verde could work well for you, or if you want to get a bit further out of the city but have the convenience of just a single train ride to hubby's work, then take a look at Ocean Shores our at Tiu King Ling. Yes, it's high rises, but the podium area gives plenty of running/playing space as well as the development having lots of residents' facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    This is not a recommendation or a suggestion but rather to perhaps offer another perspective.

We lived in Heng Fa Chuen which is on the island, right next to the MTR, there is no beach or park. So completely not what you are looking for . However, my three kids loved it. There is a long promenade alongside the harbour ideal for a stroll, there were several kids playgrounds dotted around the complex, there was a clubhouse with a pool. The shops were on our doorstep. If we wanted a beach or a park we just jumped in a taxi.

What I am saying is be open to other alternatives.

Thank you for your suggestion, I will look into it. I am completely open and started to look into the option on then island, like mid-levels
    My only concern is pollution close to central parts in comparison to NT. I will be moving with newborn (who is still cooking in my belly), so wouldn’t mind find a place with “cleanish” area.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast