Like Tree71Likes

Moving to HK with 2 young kids - areas suggesting needed

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    This is not a recommendation or a suggestion but rather to perhaps offer another perspective.

We lived in Heng Fa Chuen which is on the island, right next to the MTR, there is no beach or park. So completely not what you are looking for . However, my three kids loved it. There is a long promenade alongside the harbour ideal for a stroll, there were several kids playgrounds dotted around the complex, there was a clubhouse with a pool. The shops were on our doorstep. If we wanted a beach or a park we just jumped in a taxi.

What I am saying is be open to other alternatives.

Thank you for your suggestion, I will look into it. I am completely open and started to look into the option on then island, like mid-levels
    My only concern is pollution close to central parts in comparison to NT. I will be moving with newborn (who is still cooking in my belly), so wouldnt mind find a place with cleanish area.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    If your husband is working in Whampoa, are you sure you really want to come to HK? It's not one of the premium locations here, in fact it's far from it.
    Sorry I dont really get your comment. What the location of his work has to do with the move to HK. As long as the package is good and for the experience, why not? We are not planning to live where he will be working, hense my post on this forum
    hullexile, Mat, rani and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Olga_McCann
    Thank you for your suggestion, I will look into it. I am completely open and started to look into the option on then island, like mid-levels
    My only concern is pollution close to central parts in comparison to NT. I will be moving with newborn (who is still cooking in my belly), so wouldnt mind find a place with cleanish area.
    Unfortunately you won't find cleanish air anywhere in Hong Kong. There is a recent thread on pollution in Hong Kong you should read.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    If your husband is working in Whampoa, are you sure you really want to come to HK? It's not one of the premium locations here, in fact it's far from it.

have you been there lately?
    i mean, aside from whether or not the family should move to HK shouldn't be based on where the dad/husband's office is - whampoa is kinda hopping, nice feel to it. some new developments right along the harbor, where there's a nice promenade...
    East_coast likes this.

Pollution doesn't really work like that here.
    When the overall air is bad, it's almost always bad in all of HK.

The big variable becomes, are you spending a lot of time walking along congested/heavily trafficked roads?
    Because that will get you a lot of bad air, in HK as it would in London.

Mat

Sorry I dont really get your comment. What the location of his work has to do with the move to HK. As long as the package is good and for the experience, why not? We are not planning to live where he will be working, hense my post on this forum
    It has nothing to do but TheBrit has a history of being on the snobbish side of things so you can discount his comment.

I know people working in Kwun Tong or Sha Tin who make more money than I do (and I work in a "prestigious" area) - that's just a rubbish comment so don't read too much into it.

Mat

Plenty of newborn in the area (Hunghom/Whampoa) - as I said, best is to take a service apartment for a month and visit places. Hunghom/Whampoa is very family friendly hence the suggestion made by several of us (disclaimer, I have lived in Laguna Verde a few years).
    JAherbert likes this.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
    i mean, aside from whether or not the family should move to HK shouldn't be based on where the dad/husband's office is - whampoa is kinda hopping, nice feel to it. some new developments right along the harbor, where there's a nice promenade...
    No he has not, he is based in Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
    I think it's an ok place to live actually, I quite like the feel of the area. Lots of restaurants, good selection of shops, decent Aeon is a decent supermarket. We visited some friends in Laguna Verde over the Christmas break.

However, there are not many companies I would want to for work based in Hung Hom,. Unless the OP's husband is an executive chef at one of the big hotels or something, it is hard to think of many blue chip employers in Whampoa. Given all the issues with living in HK, personally I would be a bit hesitant about making the move with young children. Some of my children are a similar age to Olga's and pollution was one of the reasons we decided to leave.

+ 1 on the "forget Gold Coast" if you work in Hung Hom. It's a bugger of a place to get to (worse than the actually further away example I used!). I also would NOT live on the Island if you are working in Whampoa - also a horrible commute (the tunnel that looks like it goes directly there is a car park much of the day) and no direct MTR. The suggestions for Sha Tin and similar up the East Rail line are spot on. For schools, posh neighbourhoods and higher rentals, Kowloon Tong.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast