Like Tree16Likes

Working in Quarry Bay

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by robshorthouse
    We looked at Tseng Kwan O, but some forums were saying that there is an issue with a dreadful smell due to the proximity to a sewage works?
    Very rare and thats if you live right next to the landfill and if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction. Po Lam / Hang Hau / Tseung Kwan O, No smell from land fill.

Thanks for the comments so far. Really helpful.

We looked at Tseng Kwan O, but some forums were saying that there is an issue with a dreadful smell due to the proximity to a sewage works?
    A lot of people like to bucket a bunch of cities (well not cities but small areas) into a larger area. Where do you live, Tseng Kwan O (also we call it TKO). So there is an area called TKO, which comprises a bunch of "areas", and then there is TKO station -- so I find it weird that people say they live in TKO but they actually live in Lohas Park, but whatever. Usually people who say they live in TKO don't live at TKO station but another station. TKO has Tiu Keng Leng, Hang Hau, Po Lam, Lohas Park, and TKO station. I like TKO the best of the 5, it has well developed infrastructure, plenty of shopping malls, nice scenery, running/bike paths, sports centers, etc. The others are too "shopping mall" for me. I know some estates allow dogs too in TKO and lots of newer estates with nice facilities.

Now the rubbish smell you're referring too, I've never once smelled that. I haven't lived there but I had some projects that I worked on and I went there regularly for awhile. I think if there is a smell, it would be in Lohas Park which is the closest to the landfill.

Locals ALWAYS stereotype an area negatively, doesn't matter where it is, they will pick something, then it becomes a rumor that spreads, and they might have never been to that area and passing on that message.

Such a helpful response. I'm very grateful to you all for your candour.

I'll head out to TKO when I'm there the week after next. If it has good running routes, then I'll be happy at least. There is an esf school in quarry bay - so the shorter commute would work for both me and my daughter.

Such a helpful response. I'm very grateful to you all for your candour.

I'll head out to TKO when I'm there the week after next. If it has good running routes, then I'll be happy at least. There is an esf school in quarry bay - so the shorter commute would work for both me and my daughter.
    TKO is NOT in the catchment area for Quarry Bay (which is basically in the North Point area). Again, cast a wide net for school options. ESF schools have long waits, esp. the one in Quarry Bay (I called them a few days ago for my daughter).

ESF is a long shot anyway. You need more options than relying on a single campus of a single school. Presumably your daughter doesn't speak and write fluent Cantonese, so you're looking at international schools (no catchment areas).

HKSGHK likes this.

if you are fine with train commute, you can also look at the end of hk island to the east.. chai-wan and heng-fa-chun are decent living environment if you are ok with apartments..

i actually like quarry bay that i am staying there.. and working in kowloon bay.. i know its abit of a reverse flow.. but at least i don't get bad commute crowds during rush hours as my direction is the opposite.. 8-)

as to moving the central to QB.. well, its all swire's fault.. last month i saw them organized a one evening event, put up chunks of money setting up tents and etc.. calling the event 'decentralized'.. hmmm

live in QB and commute to KB? how long is that door to door?

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    live in QB and commute to KB? how long is that door to door?
    30mins d-t-d.

From when you shut the door at your place to when you enter the building at the office? Because QB is one of my least favorite mtr station.

it feels like 10 minutes just to get the platform from when you enter the station

It only seems longer, because walking through the labyrinth of Quarry Bay station and changing with the crowds at Yau Tong suck so much

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast