Like Tree16Likes

Working in Quarry Bay

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My advice would to focus on a school first, then decide where to live. Dont expect a spot at ANY ESF school for at LEAST a couple of years, waiting lists are horrendously long. You could try Delia School of Canada however, also in Quarry Bay and they often still have places.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    It only seems longer, because walking through the labyrinth of Quarry Bay station and changing with the crowds at Yau Tong suck so much
    I really do think it takes longer.
    a) I've timed entering QB station on King's road and seeing how long it takes to get to the platform.
    b) Contrast to entering Taikoo from City plaza and seeing how long it takes to get to the platform.

TKS is so much nicer than QB - it's like starting at central instead of admiralty and trying to go towards Tsuen W

you are also right on the the exchange at Y T. Bleh!

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    From when you shut the door at your place to when you enter the building at the office? Because QB is one of my least favorite mtr station.

it feels like 10 minutes just to get the platform from when you enter the station
    yes. the train ride is only 15mins. so it took me another 10mins combined walk. home to the train in QB, which i agree is a pain. and the KB station to my office.. usually its between 25~30mins. i can get it thru in 25mins if i kind of 'rush' it thru...

and on TKS.. i think the apartments in TKS are too spread out. only a few blocks there belong to the 'really walkable to MTR' type of distance... but for me TKS was out because i would need additional change, i.e. island line --> TKO line --> KT line.

so my other choice was North point.. but NP has an interesting set up... east of island place, the place is cooler, west the place are very local and pretty cramp... ended up i found a decent appt in QB at a fair price, so the selection was naturally decided

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    I really do think it takes longer.
    a) I've timed entering QB station on King's road and seeing how long it takes to get to the platform.
    b) Contrast to entering Taikoo from City plaza and seeing how long it takes to get to the platform.
    Can you remember your times? I keep meaning to do that but forget to.

Very sensible to test the waters with a service apartment first.

Agree with OPs that your priority is to start with school places and then work out where to live. Suggest you find out from your potential employer whether they can provide you with a corporate debenture which will place you high on the waiting list.

Nearly all international schools are over-subscribed, but Kowloon side is generally worse than HK Island side. As you need an out of cycle admission, you might have more luck with a school with a large proportion of expats as the turnover will be higher. Call around the schools and ask how long the waiting lists are and how likely you are to be able to get a place.

Bringing a dog will significantly curtail the choice of properties available to you, particularly the large complexes as many of them don't allow pets. However, I do know someone who has just moved to Grand Promenade in Sai Wan Ho (walking distance to QB and within your price range) as they allow her to have dogs, having previously had to smuggle her pooch in and out of her last apartment.

Hope the interview goes well.

Last edited by Scousebanana; 21-02-2018 at 01:08 PM.
    shri likes this.

Hello everyone - I just wanted to give you an update. I got the job and I have sorted out my visa (it was remarkably quick - 4 weeks in total).

I am now on the hunt for a serviced apartment. The issue that I am facing, as ever, is that there is sooo much information and options available online.

Would anyone have a recommendation of who to use - or some online classifieds - in order to help me sort this out. I would be looking to move into apartment at the start of June.

Thanks

shri likes this.

Congrats on landing the job!

Did you get a school sorted for your daughter? If we know where she wil enroll its easier to advise on (serviced) apartments.

Many congratulations! I assume if you are starting in June, you may wait until school is out for the summer before you bring out your family which will give you time to find a more permanent apartment and organise schooling.

I work out of Taikoo Place (the main office area in Quarry Bay) and also Central. Here is an extract from the email I received from my employer with serviced apartment recommendations when we were preparing to move here. We chose Taikoo Place Apartments in the end and we were very happy there. Bear in mind this was over 2 years ago, so may be a little out of date, but I hope it helps.

- Shama
    - Kornhill apartments
    - Harbour Plaza
    - Taikoo Place Apartments

Taikoo Place Apartments is across the road from Taikoo Place, operated by the Swire Group. Harbour Plaza and Kornhill are of similar distance from the office, one on the east and another on the west side with the former providing shuttle service to where we are. Kornhill, meanwhile, is situated above a dept store, easy access to subway, both are 5 to 10 minutes to work.

Shama, is in a district call North Point, district adjacent to Quarry Bay. The MTR station is just across the road, and 10 minutes ride to the office. All of these locations are well served by the transportation network.

shri likes this.

A note to the above: I thought that Harbour Plaza was just a hotel- they seem to do long term packages as a 'serviced apartment' offering, but essentially you're going to be staying in a hotel room. Last time I was in the building there were some very random sports teams staying there.

Could be wrong, maybe there's a separate section that's apartments with longer term living areas and without a crowded hotel lobby.

concur. i wldn't do harbour plaza.. price is cheaper but i dont think it serves being an apartment (never lived there but from online research).

kornhill is oldish.
    sharma is quite good. taikoo place apartment is fairly new and i would have stayed there longer if not for the cost.. but that said, it might be cheaper than sharma IIRC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast