Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Working in Quarry Bay

Working in Quarry Bay

Hello everyone

I'm at final interview stage for a job in HK. I am coming out at the end of the month for that. While I am not looking to count my chickens, I am doing some ground work before I head out.

If I do get the job, it will be me, my wife, my daughter (she is 9) and our dog.

My job will be based in Quarry Bay. I dont mind commuting - but would draw the line at anything over 1 hour each way. Naturally, i would much prefer it to be shorter than that. More important than my commute, however, is the proximity to an ESF primary school.

I have been looking at the rental situation and the schools. So I get the fact that rent is expensive and that you dont get very much for your money when you are on the Island.

Budget wise- we are looking at 30,000 - 35,000. I would come out first and live in a serviced apartment while house hunting. I'd want to go see various neighbourhoods and get a feel for them.

Your considered advice would be greatly appreciated. We are drawn to Tung Chung for a number of reasons. Is that too much of a commute?

Thanks in advance!

Why Tung Chung?

I used to do Cheung Sha Wan to Quarry Bay and that was bad enough.

Tung Chung to Quarry Bay is 52 minutes by MTR excluding walking time either side so you’re looking at over an hour travel time each way.

I’d go the other side and look at East Side of HK where the commute will be a lot less.

Tung Chung, seriously? Why not live in Shenzhen.

Heck to the no. Absolutely not!

I mean it isn't the time, it's also the pressure of being brushed up against 10 people on all sides for the crazy commute. Then at HK station you have to battle a million people to walk 5 minutes to the island line.

If you are working in Quarry Bay then plenty of options over on the east side of hk island. If you want to live on top of the MTR in a shopping mall type living, then Tiu Keng Leng and Tseng Kwan O station are very good too. Note that Tung Chung apartments are not connected to the MTR and hence if it's raining then you'll need an umbrella.

I would look at Tai Koo, Tseng Kwan O. If you want a bigger flat then Lohas Park (albeit train is not as convenient as only alternating trains go there). Sai Wan Ho has a large newer estate too.

If you're for some reason stuck on being on the Tung Chung line then basically all of the stations on the TC line are better options and closer/more convenient. If you live in TC, your friends will NEVER come visit you. TC also has a toll charge of Hk$15 each way so that adds up if you intend to have a car. Kowloon station is nice but need to push your budget into the 40's. Olympic Station has plenty of estates too.

Now another problem is your dog. Make sure both your estate and landlord are OK with it. Sometimes the landlord says ok then the tenant moves in and finds out no dogs allowed. It's the tenants fault and they lose their 2 month deposit.

HKSGHK and shri like this.

I'll tell you how bad your commute would be. If I lived in TC and my job moved to Quarry Bay, many companies are doing this. I would find another job. Time is precious.

I'd agree with M&M on the recommended locations. Tung Chung seems a very random and inconvenient choice. Hong Kong has some really good upsides in terms of convenience, and you lose a lot of them by living in Tung Chung (unless you work at the airport).

I would be surprised if you can keep a dog in Taikoo though, I have never noticed them around the area and the whole place is run by a single management company.

Edit: you mentioned something about proximity to ESF. IIRC the way it works is that EFS work on catchment areas (unlike other private schools) so location is relevant. However, some considerations: There's no guarantee that she'd get into one, and many schools have bus routes.

The big thing is probably schooling options. Schooling is painfully expensive and complex out here.

Last edited by jgl; 17-02-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    Kowloon Goon and HKSGHK like this.

Hope you have your 2 million dollar debunture ready. Your kid will suffer in local schools, painfully.

I wouldn't live here if I had children. Dogs, maybe. But children, no.

Franky1 likes this.

Quarry Bay is sooo inconvenient for most Hong Kongers. Very bad move to make it a second CBD.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    Hope you have your 2 million dollar debunture ready. Your kid will suffer in local schools, painfully.
    Pure BS.
    shri likes this.

The wait lists for ESF schools are looong; harder to get into one at age 9.

Take the schooling issue very seriously and do your research... Also, debentures can be as "cheap" as 65k HKD. And all local schools are not the same... The same goes for international schools. An IB curriculum school, for example, does not mean that the teachers are delivering the content well.

HKSGHK likes this.

Thanks for the comments so far. Really helpful.

We looked at Tseng Kwan O, but some forums were saying that there is an issue with a dreadful smell due to the proximity to a sewage works?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast