Like Tree20Likes

LOCATION ADVICE - General guidance

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    If your wife wants to feel at home, you can check out Whampoa. I went to the AON supermarket there recently and felt like i had gone to Japan. Lots of Japanese products and they even have a small food court just like the department stores in Japan. I think there is a big Japanese community there.

Its connected to the MTR as well though you will need to change trains once. Whampoa and Central are both at the end of the lines so won't be too bad getting on at rush hours.

Its mostly residential so fairly relaxed compared to most places in HK. And just a few stops away from real busy city centres like Mongkok and Tsim Sha Tsui.
    Have to disagree about the new Aeon at Whampoa. I used to live in that area and, having lived in Japan, loved how it was exactly like a supermarket in Japan. I instinctively knew where things were and they had all the things you need for Japanese cooking. Recently went back and since its remodelling, the selection of Japanese stuff has shrunk, while the selection of instant noodles and the same crappy mainland fresh produce you can get at any welcome or parknshop has increased. Just another crappy local supermarket but with a. Japanese brand for added prestige. Definitely not worth a trip for anyone homesick for Japan.
    That said, I loved living in Hung Hom / Whampoa, and there's a sizeable Japanese community there.

thx @MerMer - was that the main Japanese shopping hub or is there another place to fall back on for those in need? We all know how Japanese can be fussy with there produce!

Quote Originally Posted by Redentore:
    thx @MerMer - was that the main Japanese shopping hub or is there another place to fall back on for those in need? We all know how Japanese can be fussy with there produce!
    I've pretty much given up on supermarkets here and get most things online. It's not a given that a supermarket that stocked X last time you shopped there will have it when you need it, and it's common to need to go to a few places to get everything. No time for that. Marche.hk sells all the Japanese groceries you could want and also has a page in Japanese. As far as I know, the owner is Japanese. They deliver to your door.
    TheBrit and Redentore like this.

Thanks a lot to @DeletedUser @UK/HKboy @Golem @Mat @shri. All sound advice which is exactly what I am looking for.

Thx for the
    tips Corporate vs local agents
    Some v. good area suggestions for me to look into and some colour on HV and PFL.
    Japanese areas noted - we are happy if we can easily reach them - don't have to live there.
    @shri - PFL being a bit more "out of the way" - I assume the downside is nothing being immediately on your doorstep (coffee shop, restaurants etc) - instead you need to take a short bus ride each time? Trying to get a little more sense of the neighbourhood lifestyle.
    Tai Koo is not far from HV to stock up on all things Japanese. Plus you have Causeway Bay at your doorstep which is filled with (good/average/bad) Japanese restaurants.
    Redentore likes this.

Japanese people like Marinella in Wang Chuk Hang. Take your wife there and she'll love it. My buddy keeps trying to convince my wife and I to move to happy valley but his Japanese wife loves where we live. It's quiet, nearby the MTR (few minutes walk), and the mountain and sea view remind me of downtown Vancouver - my hometown which lots of Japanese people enjoy living in.

Downside is lack of Japanese grocery stores nearby.

Thanks Viktri - Another location on the "areas to check out list"!

What's the general consensus on Ap Lei Chau? Seems you get some nice properties for your money and the MTR would make the commuting easy.

What's the general consensus on Ap Lei Chau? Seems you get some nice properties for your money and the MTR would make the commuting easy.
    Ap Lei Chau rocks! Been living there for one year and we love it. Close to water with nice mountain views it's one of the most calming neigborhoods in HK. Great for dogs too as there is a small dog park on Ap Lei Chau Main Street.

MTR to Admiralty in 9 minutes and can also walk to Wan Chai easily (no need to change to Wan Chai MTR unless destination is close to CWB). Taxi is also surprisingly fast (around 10-20 minutes unless in rush hour) and usually less than HKD 100. Go either via Aberdeen tunnel to Wan Chai/ CWB/ eastwards) or via Pok Fu Lam to SYP/ Sheung Wan/ Central. Been living in SYP before and while SYP is great, it's become really expensive (and busy) so Ap Lei Chau is now really a great option.

Would avoid Marinella as really far from MTR. Look at H Bonaire instead. Brand new and 1 minute from Lei Tung MTR/ close to water and dog park/ 4 supermarkets within 2 minutes walk. The supermarkets are mostly local but sufficient for daily needs. Can shop at Pacific Place at Great or Parknshop Fusion (United Centre) and take taxi home once a week for the stuff that the local supermarkets don't stock. The Parknshop Fusion at Aberdeen Marina Club is crap (much worse than the Parknshop Fusion in SYP), just a local supermarket with very few international products.
    z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SalseroHK:
    Ap Lei Chau rocks! Been living there for one year and we love it. Close to water with nice mountain views it's one of the most calming neigborhoods in HK. Great for dogs too as there is a small dog park on Ap Lei Chau Main Street.

MTR to Admiralty in 9 minutes and can also walk to Wan Chai easily (no need to change to Wan Chai MTR unless destination is close to CWB). Taxi is also surprisingly fast (around 10-20 minutes unless in rush hour) and usually less than HKD 100. Go either via Aberdeen tunnel to Wan Chai/ CWB/ eastwards) or via Pok Fu Lam to SYP/ Sheung Wan/ Central. Been living in SYP before and while SYP is great, it's become really expensive (and busy) so Ap Lei Chau is now really a great option.

Would avoid Marinella as really far from MTR. Look at H Bonaire instead. Brand new and 1 minute from Lei Tung MTR/ close to water and dog park/ 4 supermarkets within 2 minutes walk. The supermarkets are mostly local but sufficient for daily needs. Can shop at Pacific Place at Great or Parknshop Fusion (United Centre) and take taxi home once a week for the stuff that the local supermarkets don't stock. The Parknshop Fusion at Aberdeen Marina Club is crap (much worse than the Parknshop Fusion in SYP), just a local supermarket with very few international products.
    There is a decent Fusion at Cyberport which would be a shorter and cheaper taxi ride than shopping at Admiralty.

I haven't seen it myself but I think there's a USelect (aka Tesco) on Ap Lei Chau somewhere?
    SalseroHK likes this.

There is a decent Fusion at Cyberport which would be a shorter and cheaper taxi ride than shopping at Admiralty.

I haven't seen it myself but I think there's a USelect (aka Tesco) on Ap Lei Chau somewhere?
    The MTR makes it VERY easy to get into Admiralty. Office (Wong Chuk Hang) to Pacific Place takes me the same amount of time (10-12 mins walk + 6 mins of MTR time) compared to taxi/car to Pok Fu Lam.

Yes, there is a Tesco near the Ap Lei Chau waterfront (not to be confused with South Horizons).