Like Tree20Likes

LOCATION ADVICE - General guidance

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The MTR makes it VERY easy to get into Admiralty. Office (Wong Chuk Hang) to Pacific Place takes me the same amount of time (10-12 mins walk + 6 mins of MTR time) compared to taxi/car to Pok Fu Lam.

Yes, there is a Tesco near the Ap Lei Chau waterfront (not to be confused with South Horizons).
    This was in response to the suggestion to shop at Great or United Centre and take a taxi home...there are closer options for Fusion/PnS.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    This was in response to the suggestion to shop at Great or United Centre and take a taxi home...there are closer options for Fusion/PnS.
    Great has a completely different range to most Fusion/PnS though. And USelect is great for some things. Not good enough for a whole general shop though imho (we have two near us, we use them for a few specific items only).
    SalseroHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Great has a completely different range to most Fusion/PnS though. And USelect is great for some things. Not good enough for a whole general shop though imho (we have two near us, we use them for a few specific items only).
    I cannot imagine anyone shops weekly at Great...I guess I'm not in that income bracket haha.

I cannot imagine anyone shops weekly at Great...I guess I'm not in that income bracket haha.
    I used to shop there every day when I worked in Admiralty. I would certainly do almost all my shopping there if I still did, or as Shri pointed out, was only a 20 min trip away. Most things are the same price and the expensive stuff is only found in Great, so it's hardly surprising its so much.
    SalseroHK likes this.

There is a decent Fusion at Cyberport which would be a shorter and cheaper taxi ride than shopping at Admiralty.

I haven't seen it myself but I think there's a USelect (aka Tesco) on Ap Lei Chau somewhere?
    Thanks will check out the Fusion at Cyperport. But then I have to take 2 taxi rides (back and forth) while I can take the MTR to PP and take taxi back so not sure if there are any savings (from Ap Lei Chau to Aberdeen Marina Club costs 40-45 HKD so 90 HKD return which is pretty much the same as going to PP by MTR and returning by taxi).

U Select: yes, there is one besides Lei Tung MTR exit on Main street and it's not as good as Fusion/ Great but better than regular Parknshop/ Wellcome.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SalseroHK:
    Thanks will check out the Fusion at Cyperport. But then I have to take 2 taxi rides (back and forth) while I can take the MTR to PP and take taxi back so not sure if there are any savings (from Ap Lei Chau to Aberdeen Marina Club costs 40-45 HKD so 90 HKD return which is pretty much the same as going to PP by MTR and returning by taxi).

U Select: yes, there is one besides Lei Tung MTR exit on Main street and it's not as good as Fusion/ Great but better than regular Parknshop/ Wellcome.
    I might be missing something, but why do you need to take a taxi home rather than the MTR?

I might be missing something, but why do you need to take a taxi home rather than the MTR?
    Yeah, just bring along one or two of your helpers to carry the groceries for you and take the MTR back.
    SalseroHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    Yeah, just bring along one or two of your helpers to carry the groceries for you and take the MTR back.
    Well I was thinking more of a shopping trolley, but yes, helpers would work too!

Well I was thinking more of a shopping trolley, but yes, helpers would work too!
    Don't have a helper (or even two!) and am not a fan of using a shopping trolley. Guess I am a bit spoiled

I don't NEED to take a taxi in the same way I don't NEED to shop at Fusion or Great. Many people consider regular Parknshop fully sufficient but it just doesn't work for me.
    shri likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Having visited Nottinghill and Portobello Road last summer and its little street market stalls and open window pubs, I gotta agree with The Brit. Happy Valley although it's still nothing like Nottinghill on an aesthetic point of view/vibe etc, but it has a little village vibe that isn't quite as boisterous and in your face as say Cauesway Bay / Wanchai etc.
    z754103 likes this.