Like Tree9Likes

Post dated checks for renting an apartment?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post dated checks for renting an apartment?

Does anyone who rents a place here have to do that? Or if you are an owner, do you ask your renter to write 12 post dated checks?

Never been asked for this (which is a good thing as I have never used checks in my life).

In the Olden Days, before internet banking and when every reputable person carried a cheque book, this was quite common.

My assumption is that the LL is of venerable years.

Very rare--and I wouldn't do it.

My previous neighbour friend had to do this for her LL, I LOL when I heard it from her 1st. Thank fook my LL didnt ask for the same.

I wouldn't be keen personally, as it points to potential problems with the landlord down the road. These tenant/landlord relationships work better when there is mutual trust and respect in my experience.

Sure, I don't say its always a deal breaker, just a red flag. One of many things to consider in the apartment hunting game

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I wouldn't be keen personally, as it points to potential problems with the landlord down the road. These tenant/landlord relationships work better when there is mutual trust and respect in my experience.
    Yeah, I agree it is a bit weird as I haven't used checks in years. What potential problems could I run into? Trying to list as many as I can before proceeding.

In some countries, e.g. the UK, post dated checks can be cashed early. I would check the position in HK.

shri likes this.

Do HK banks honor the concept of a forward dated cheque?

I know they don't take cheques which are older than six months, but forward dated am not too sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast