Like Tree33Likes

Dangerous lift in my building

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Save a life or two.........

1823 by e'mail - with pix - is a good way to get the message to the responsible Gov't Dept.

I find that I do get a response from 1823 within 24 hours - and the complained of thing is quickly actioned (most times) shortly afterwards.

Personally --> I'd photo the lift's certification - telling1823 WHERE the lift is located... and request urgent action.

Cut & paste your earlier comments here into that e'mail.

Go on, you know it makes sense - the lives you could save might include your own !!

TeachHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia
    1823 by e'mail - with pix - is a good way to get the message to the responsible Gov't Dept.

I find that I do get a response from 1823 within 24 hours - and the complained of thing is quickly actioned (most times) shortly afterwards.

Personally --> I'd photo the lift's certification - telling1823 WHERE the lift is located... and request urgent action.

Cut & paste your earlier comments here into that e'mail.

Go on, you know it makes sense - the lives you could save might include your own !!

I messaged through the 1823 app with all the details and 1823 messaged me back on the morning of the 19th to say that they'd forwarded the complaint onto the EMSD. Haven't heard anything off them, and I guess they off for the weekend. Hopefully, I will hear back from them on Monday.

I really suggest you get it checked by professionals. The floor of the lift in my block was too rusty and broke while some poor woman was inside. She fell through the hole and ended up in a hospotal in a serious condition, it's pure luck she didn't die. It could have been me. It really annoys me how the management didn't renovate the lift until the accident happened, and even then they only made a new floor. Also a few months ago I got stuck in it, kept ringing the bell, no one answered. Some people outside heard me and called security, the the firemen came to get me out. After that I had enough of bs and had an angry talk with the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by TeachHK
    I messaged through the 1823 app with all the details and 1823 messaged me back on the morning of the 19th to say that they'd forwarded the complaint onto the EMSD. Haven't heard anything off them, and I guess they off for the weekend. Hopefully, I will hear back from them on Monday.
    I feel that you will be doing us a favor by telling us WHAT building you are in.

My daughter & family live on the 36th floor of a building in Kennedy Town - so a "Heads-Up" would be much welcomed to assure me that THEY are (apparently) safe.

Sure as heck don't want them "walking into danger".

OK, just a quick update.

I've just walked up twenty-six floors!!!

Got downstairs half an hour ago to find lots of people crowded around. Apparently, someone was stuck in one of the lifts between floors and needed to be rescued.
    A helper told me that they said the lifts will be off until at least 7pm as they need to be inspected.

Still no word off the EMSD.

Still no word off the EMSD.
    I would email / message them about today's incident.
    TeachHK and HK_Katherine like this.

I've just walked up twenty-six floors!!!
    You need a beer!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    You need a beer!
    I do!!!

https://www.emsd.gov.hk/en/about_us/...ex.html#pp-les
    OK, so the EMSD say their target is 10 working days to respond to a complaint of malpractice. Thought it was April fool's for a moment! What a joke! Safety issues should be dealt with as soon as possible.

So...I kind of became an expert myself on shitty old buildings. I had a shitty lift before, and a not very good one now. But that's what you get when looking for cheaper rent, I guess. Previous case it was originally Chinese made, and Otis took the contract around ten years ago. Problem is, they fitted European lift parts into a Chinese-made lift from a company no longer exists, and all the maintenance they were doing was pretty much custom-made for this lift. It tended to fail at least once every two weeks. In the end Otis ended up raising the maintenance fees a lot, as apparently the situation was unmaintainable to them, and they offered a contract to install a brand new lift. But this involved redesigning also the lift gap in the building, which was non-standard size either. So...when I left that apartment, they were going to take down the lift service for 3-4 months to install a new one. So...that's that.

My lift now is also very old and has very frequent maintenance checks, but it's not close to the previous one's unreliability at all. This one's worse teller is exactly what you pointed out, not landing exactly where it should, stopping 10cm earlier or later than it should. This usually is a tell-tale that the lift will hang soon (I guess the distance where it lands ends up being bigger than the doors safety mechanism to let them open), and will require some hours downtime to be readjusted by the technicians. It kind of happens once every month or two. Usually within the week when the misalignment starts. So probably you can use that yourself as a telltale sign of the lift soon to have some downtime.

EDIT: LOL, talking about the devil...seems I might have another downtime coming soon.

shri and TheBrit like this.

I would involve the media further to the other elevator accidents if your elevator is still not fixed and if youre being brushed off. I know its a guerilla tactic, see if this applies to your case.
    i would whatsapp Scoop at 60886600. Its a HK news variety show/TVB aired every weekday between 19:30-20:00 to extend some of the happenings in town in Cantonese. English should not be a problem (TVB has an int extension/news channel 84/Pearl).

You could also escalate this by contacting ViuTVs intl news channel too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast